1/48 GWH MiG-29 9.13

After about 9 months of work, I'm finally done with this model. I started with an intention of finishing it in factory primer colors. But, as you can see from the build log, decided to try a worn, tired look. A big thank you goes to ARC members Berkut and ya-gabor for their help along the way. I built it mostly OOB, with a few minor scratch-built details. Overall, it is a great kit with very good surface detail. However, fitting the engine intakes gave me a lot of grief. Mostly Tamiya and Gunze acrylic paints, mixes of my oils and AK ineractive washes (good stuff), no clear coat for decals as after so much chipping and rubbing the surface was sufficiently smooth. A mix of Testors flat and semi-gloass coat for the final clear coat. The kit has so many PE antennas and other small bits like the static wicks that it's so hard to hold and handle the model. I am sure I'll knock a few of those details off in no time.

It was a fun build especially during the painting stages. Chipping of this sort was my first time trying it and I'm glad I tried it. At the end, the result was mix of the weathering I've seen in many decrepit Fulcrum pictures, so I wasn't modeling one particular airframe. As always, open to any and all critiques.

Build log

Final pics

IMG_8171.JPG

IMG_8177.JPG

IMG_8179.JPG

IMG_8180.JPG

IMG_8181.JPG

IMG_8175.JPG

Edited by Janissary
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like the weathering you've pulled off here. I'd love to do something similar

My only critique, which isn't related to workmanship but more on a realism angle is,  would such a decrepit looking aircraft still be in service, and be armed up?

Thank you very much all! I was aiming for a tired but operational look, using a lot of photos I've accumulated strictly as inspiration. A lot of these photos are from museums or junkyards; certainly not operational airframes. So with the loadout, this is mostly a WHIFfer. 

Extraordinarily beautiful. Also inspirational -having seen the new(ish) Linden Hill 'Pavlov's MiGs' sheet, I may have to spring for a 9.13 meself...quite fancy doing Aleksandr Nevskii.  (And that's not a sentence ending I'd even have imagined writing a few years ago! :woot.gif:)

• 2 weeks later...

The paint weathering is top notch. The only thing that "jumps' at me is the tires. They are shinny in some pics and the sidewall and thread are the same even color, they look a bit toyish. You might wan to apply your same technique to the tires to make them look more realistic.

• 3 weeks later...

I just love the shape of Fulcrum! In fact, it was the aircraft that originally got me back to modeling. Fresh from the factory or completely worn out, always good looking. Just like this model. Great work!