Just an FYI about that Topgun sheet

The 1/72 sheet has *23* options on it, instead of the often quoted 22 options.

You don't have to believe me, just look at the instructions page that covers the Black Movie birds.

I sort of worry about reviews that don't include a look at the instructions.

11 hours ago, Rex said:

I sort of worry about reviews that don't include a look at the instructions.

Thanks for the cheap shot Rex. There are 22 options shown on the front cover of the instructions, which is what I went by when counting them up, but as you correctly pointed out, there is an option for a Top Gun movie F-5F as well shown only in the instructions page. I assure you that I did go over the instructions before writing the review. I simply missed it. Probably because I find those two options incredibly boring, and not really adversaries. Fred K.

Edited by f5guy

I thought it was a well done article.  I've adjusted the number if the article to 23.  With that many planes on one decal sheet...it is easy to miss 1...especially when the front pant of the decal sheet only shows 22.

Having read the article I can safely say that Fred did indeed look at the instructions quite a bit.

Hey, I enjoyed reading it...really wish that sheet had been around when I was doing adversaries galore. And if I found an "extra" bit of markings, all the better!

Lord knows my errors usually FAR exceed the harmlessness of that one. :cheers: 

It wasn't a cheap shot.

I've read that sheet reviewed about 5 times now, on different places,,,,,,,and every time it said 22. I found it hard to miss 3 schemes on one page, when the rest had 2.

Next time I won't say anything.

No need for a ban, Rex, just there are nicer ways to put it. 

Speaking for myself, I would have started with a private message to either Steve or the reviewer pointing out the error and asking if this was just a simple oversight. That way it could be quietly corrected. Goes over better than a post for all the world to see. 

If there was a public post on every goof I've ever made, I'd never be able to show my face in public :) 

9 hours ago, SBARC said:

I thought it was a well done article.  I've adjusted the number if the article to 23.  With that many planes on one decal sheet...it is easy to miss 1...especially when the front pant of the decal sheet only shows 22.

Having read the article I can safely say that Fred did indeed look at the instructions quite a bit.

Needs another adjustment, Steve: 12+4+6 still equals 22, even if it says 23.  Should be 12+5+6=23

Break, break.....

Rex,

For the record, I had to go through the instructions twice before I found the sheet with three on it.  And I pretty much agree with Fred on those two options.  I wouldn't consider doing them because Topgun  was such a complete BS movie where the flying was concerned, and especially the inverted "finger" scene.

Break, break......

Fred,

Nice review, great photos, thanks.  Do you have the Bureau Numbers for all of them?

Cheers all,

Tom

4 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

No need for a ban, Rex, just there are nicer ways to put it. 

Rex,

I Don't have a problem with anyone pointing out something that I've missed. You made a very good catch, as apparently I'm not the only one that missed it. But as Andrew said....... Regards, Fred K.

34 minutes ago, Superheat said:

For the record, I had to go through the instructions twice before I found the sheet with three on it.  And I pretty much agree with Fred on those two options.  I wouldn't consider doing them because Topgun  was such a complete BS movie where the flying was concerned, and especially the inverted "finger" scene.

Break, break......

Fred,

Nice review, great photos, thanks.  Do you have the Bureau Numbers for all of them?

Cheers all,

Tom

Ahhhh... a kindred soul! I loved seeing the jets rip around in Topgun, but good gravy, what a stupid movie!

As for BuNo's Tom, are you referring to the movie jets? Fred K.

Edited by f5guy

Sorry about my wording Fred.

The good news is now that this review includes all 23 options.

I agree about the Black Jets,,,,,,but, I might have to do one of them, because I gave away one of the F-5F Sharknose versions to another builder. That leaves only the Black one in my decal collection to depict that airframe type.

1 hour ago, Superheat said:

Needs another adjustment, Steve: 12+4+6 still equals 22, even if it says 23.  Should be 12+5+6=23

Break, break.....

Rex,

Break, break......

Fred,

Cheers all,

Tom

Thanks Tom....I've made the adjustment.  I agree about Top Gun...at the time is seemed like a very cool movie...oh how the years have changed my view.  :-D

1 hour ago, f5guy said:

Ahhhh... a kindred soul! I loved seeing the jets rip around in Topgun, but good gravy, what a stupid movie!

I like the Final Countdown for the same reason....the aircraft scenes are worth the price of admission and the concept of 1 modern carrier going up again the whole WW2 IJN is quite the concept to ponder.

3 hours ago, f5guy said:

Actually, the movie's characterization of fighter pilots was pretty good, the plot -such as it was - so-so, but virtually all the flying was BS - nothing but low-level tail chase, or, as you put it "ripping around". Nothing remotely resembling real air combat maneuvering.  If they had some real ACM, with head-on passes with a 1200 knot closure rate it would have been pretty exciting.

As to BuNo's I assume you were being facetious about the black jets, but it finally dawned on me I could pull the BuNo's off the instructions for the others.  Thanks again for the photos.

Cheers,

Tom

5 hours ago, Superheat said:

Actually, the movie's characterization of fighter pilots was pretty good, the plot -such as it was - so-so, but virtually all the flying was BS - nothing but low-level tail chase, or, as you put it "ripping around". Nothing remotely resembling real air combat maneuvering.  If they had some real ACM, with head-on passes with a 1200 knot closure rate it would have been pretty exciting.

As to BuNo's I assume you were being facetious about the black jets, but it finally dawned on me I could pull the BuNo's off the instructions for the others.  Thanks again for the photos.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Regarding the Top Gun movie...... I've never been a pilot..... always wanted to be but never got there, but through this hobby have picked up a (very) little knowledge of it, and whenever I see that 2 V 2 scene between the Scooters and Tomcats down low I can't help but think "Is there such a thing as MINIMUM gun range? Because I think that they're too close to shoot!" ;0) Fred.

13 hours ago, SBARC said:

I like the Final Countdown for the same reason....the aircraft scenes are worth the price of admission and the concept of 1 modern carrier going up again the whole WW2 IJN is quite the concept to ponder.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for correcting the option count on my decal review. As for The Final Countdown, I remember seeing that one at the theater, and of course, several times since. I agree, it was an interesting concept, while completely far fetched too (a storm transporting everything back in time) but it sure was cool seeing the Navy guys do their thing! Fred.

14 hours ago, Rex said:

Sorry about my wording Fred.

The good news is now that this review includes all 23 options.

I agree about the Black Jets,,,,,,but, I might have to do one of them, because I gave away one of the F-5F Sharknose versions to another builder. That leaves only the Black one in my decal collection to depict that airframe type.

No worries Rex. We're good. As for the black movie E that you mention, I'm pretty sure that it is NFWS  #42 (also on the sheet) underneath that black paint, though I've never been able to positively confirm it. So for that time frame it would also have the duckbill nose cone and extended wing roots. Take care, Fred.