IIRC, although I haven't seen them very often, the ones I've seen were white over Gray. I don't remember seeing any in white over Corogard. IIRC, I did see some (IIRC) "Speckled Trout" aircraft with white over polished metal.

The word I have is that some of the early RCs in overall aluminum lacquer had overheating problems, and had the white paint added on the upper fuselage.  Later they received a total repaint with white over Aircraft Gray.  There may have been some early ECs in a similar scheme but I don't recall any photos of that. 

Rick L.

18 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I can a find few photos of NMF aircraft but the visual difference between corrogard and ADC Grey isn't great enough for me to tell if any of the white-topped planes aren't gray except in close-up photos and all of those are white/grey.

I totally agree, the coroguard seems a bit more clear than the ADC grey but there is hardly any difference between them.

Thank you for writing!!

I.Martin

17 hours ago, DonSS3 said:

IIRC, although I haven't seen them very often, the ones I've seen were white over Gray. I don't remember seeing any in white over Corogard. IIRC, I did see some (IIRC) "Speckled Trout" aircraft with white over polished metal.

Perhaps the coroguard and ADC grey are so similar that is not easy to find any difference between them. I like the shinny finish of the EC-135K but unfortunately, no decals available!

Thanks for writing!

I.Martin

15 hours ago, Spruemeister said:

The word I have is that some of the early RCs in overall aluminum lacquer had overheating problems, and had the white paint added on the upper fuselage.  Later they received a total repaint with white over Aircraft Gray.  There may have been some early ECs in a similar scheme but I don't recall any photos of that. 

Rick L.

It's hard to find pictures of early planes, I found >THIS ONE< but I'm not sure if the second aircraft is an EC one, the wingtip antennas say so..

Thanks Rick!

I.Martin

11 hours ago, ikar said:

Here's one leaving the Christmas tree in the 80s:

scan0060-1.jpg

There was a red/white stripe around the boom operator area.

Excellent pictures!! Now I can see that the early ones didn't have the 'saddle' antenna installed at the top of the fuselage and lacks many other antennas that does carry the C model. Even the engines are the early ones and not the TF-33 included in the AMT kit. I think I'll have to go with the late model in ADC grey. The red and white stripes are radiation warning stripes, I don't know what is inside!!

Thank you very much for those pics, they're great!

I.Martin

Edited by I.Martin
Typo

It's hard to tell exactly from ikar's photo (which is awesome, by the way) but the tail number looks something like 10281, or maybe 10287.  Good chance this is an EC-135A or L configured as an ALCC or PACCS aircraft.  So, not specifically "Looking Glass", but still part of the mission to provide command/control over ICBM forces from the air.  Those planes operated with the J-57 engines until retirement in the early 90's.

To answer your original question, there is a photo of a such-painted EC-135C (with TF-33's like the AMT kit) in Robert S. Hopkins "Boeing KC135 Stratotanker - More Than Just a Tanker" book.  Interestingly, the tail is also still in Corogaurd instead of white.  It would make for a unique model versus the more typical scheme.

-Ryan

Edited by BN7149
On 23/1/2017 at 3:22 AM, BN7149 said:

It's hard to tell exactly from ikar's photo (which is awesome, by the way) but the tail number looks something like 10281, or maybe 10287.  Good chance this is an EC-135A or L configured as an ALCC or PACCS aircraft.  So, not specifically "Looking Glass", but still part of the mission to provide command/control over ICBM forces from the air.  Those planes operated with the J-57 engines until retirement in the early 90's.

To answer your original question, there is a photo of a such-painted EC-135C (with TF-33's like the AMT kit) in Robert S. Hopkins "Boeing KC135 Stratotanker - More Than Just a Tanker" book.  Interestingly, the tail is also still in Corogaurd instead of white.  It would make for a unique model versus the more typical scheme.

-Ryan

Hello Ryan, I missed the picture, page 123 :doh:. The description says ' A pristine aluminium and white EC-135C...' would be great if it's aluminium, I'd paint like that without any doubt, but first I must be sure that it's really aluminum since I have to remove the three satellite com blisters that I had already glued and the real one lacks. I'll continue collecting information about that particular aircraft and the paint scheme.

Thanks for your help!!

I.Martin

Edited by I.Martin
Typo
On 1/24/2017 at 6:25 AM, I.Martin said:

Hello Ryan, I missed the picture, page 123 :doh:. The description says ' A pristine aluminium and white EC-135C...' would be great if it's aluminium, I'd paint like that without any doubt, but first I must be sure that it's really aluminum since I have to remove the three satellite com blisters that I had already glued and the real one lacks. I'll continue collecting information about that particular aircraft and the paint scheme.

Thanks for your help!!

I.Martin

Sure thing!  You do know that the only way to acquire such confirmation is to complete the model in what you think is probably the correct scheme... Then within weeks, a complete set of walk around photos will be discovered and uploaded to disprove all of our scholarly assumptions.  :bandhead2:

It's science.  Modeling science.

-Ryan