Enlarging Decals from 1/48 to 1/32?

Does anyone know how I could take a 1/48 scale decal sheet and enlarge it to 1/32 scale.  Or at least certain markings from the 1/48 sheet.   I have read where I won't be able to do white unless I buy a certain printer, but I am only trying to enlarge low vis decals so I'm hoping that I can do that with my inkjet printer.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  

I've found gray to be a tough homemade decal color because it's printed via dithering, a digital analog of the halftone process. If you print on clear decal paper, your model surface will very likely not be white, resulting in a different tone. If you print on white decal paper, you'll have white edges around the decal. My work-around has been to cut a mask and airbrush the appropriate gray.

I'd love to hear if somebody else has a simple process for printing gray.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2017 at 3:38 PM, Tomcat124 said:

Does anyone know how I could take a 1/48 scale decal sheet and enlarge it to 1/32 scale.  Or at least certain markings from the 1/48 sheet.   I have read where I won't be able to do white unless I buy a certain printer, but I am only trying to enlarge low vis decals so I'm hoping that I can do that with my inkjet printer.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  

Low-viz colors will be difficult for any home printer, and the Alps printer too. Instead of decals you could have masks made. For a 1/32 model that should work well - a club member did a few very nice 1/48 models with masks only. You will have to scan and redraw (in vector) the required markings, then enlarge them to 150%. Illustrator, CorelDraw and Inkscape are typical vector graphics software.

Rob

On 1/21/2017 at 0:05 PM, dnl42 said:

I've found gray to be a tough homemade decal color because it's printed via dithering, a digital analog of the halftone process. If you print on clear decal paper, your model surface will very likely not be white, resulting in a different tone. If you print on white decal paper, you'll have white edges around the decal. My work-around has been to cut a mask and airbrush the appropriate gray.

I'd love to hear if somebody else has a simple process for printing gray.

Thanks for the tips.  I think the simplest way is to make and cut a mask.  I'm attempting to do one of the VFC-12 Jets in 1/32 and need the VFC-12 in grey.  I am using the FTD from the blue decals for the rest.