1/48 PZL Mi-2 Polish Border Guard

Hi guys, a start has been made.   This will hopefully be my Mi-2 from the Straz Graniczna, Poilsh Border Guard.  It is the Aeroplast kit released a couple of years ago.   It will be OOB with some scratch mods and Techmod decals.

Box shot.

IMG_1544_zpszjhbwpsx.jpg

Started with the internals as usual.  I have added the illusion of some internal structure to break up the bland interior.

IMG_1545_zps0u5pb32p.jpg

Also added some extra seating in the rear, I don't know if its accurate but it seems like the right thing to have there.  The interior in the kit is quite sparse.

IMG_1546_zpsophvaoai.jpg

Cheers

Andrew P.

Will be following this one as I bought the kit years ago. Good news on the interior is there seems like limitless number of configurations, now did the PBG have that, I can't say but looks good either way.

• 4 weeks later...

Well some progress has been made.  I added some business to the cabin - pure fiction but it looks believable I hope.  Painted in a random light blue grey and picked out some details.  Only the rear door will be open so you will see what you see through there.  Fuselage went together last night as well.

Mi2-04_zps3davw18j.jpg

Mi2-01_zpsz6dbvuep.jpg

Mi2-03_zpschta7vdk.jpg

Mi2-06_zpsvrnuvquz.jpg

Mi2-08_zpskpfdr62m.jpg

Mi2-09_zpsye8a2kqy.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Andrew P.

Nice work improving the kit's somewhat barren interior!

I had mold alignment issues with the rotor shaft that I dealt with by scratch building a replacement out of Albion brass tubing. How was yours?

Getting really close to shooting some paint on this. Basic construction is complete - if you have eagle eyes you will spot the scratch built FLIR and spotlight in the background on clamps.  I also added wire strike reinforcing in the front end. Scratch built some FOD plugs for the intakes then noticed some parts that look the same on the sprue but are not on the instructions.  I opted to put the main undercarriage mounts on now so that I could get a firm glue bond, there isn't a really positive location and it risked being too flimsy otherwise.  Probably made more work masking but we shall see.

Mi2-10_zpsaaoi9ukv.jpg

Mi2-11_zpskdbqrtzw.jpg

mi2-12_zps0tmubgfc.jpg

Edited by AndrewPerren

Well that masking was about as much fun as a pineapple colonoscopy.  Main painting done on the fuselage.

IMG_1622_zpscll9bhug.jpg

I had to compromise on the fuel tanks - the pics seem to show the angled stripe going right around the tanks full circumference.  Try as I might there was no way I could get tape to conform in such tight curves on such small items.  So rather than leave the tanks white which was my last resort I truncated that striped area to only show the outwards section.

Looks fantastic and a great job on the masking, not the easiest of things to do on a helicopter as I found out last year. I dare say you know or maybe it's just the light but there looks like a little bit of colour bleed with the Red on the upper engine cowling.

Look forward to the next update:thumbsup:

Calling it done.  Pics in the finished thread.  First time I think I've actually finished something for a GB in time.

Had a bit of trouble with the Techmod decals, they are nice and thin but stuck like glue as soon as they went on with next to no time for adjustment. Had some damages.

SAM_1477_zpshhyptj95.jpg

SAM_1479_zpsylcyalsk.jpg

Cheers

Andrew P.