1/48 Hasegawa A-4F VA-93

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2017 at 3:11 PM, Wolfgun33 said:

Wow. The paint job looks great! Very nice!

Thank you Wolfgun! A small update. Masking takes the most time as usual. 

IMG_3335.JPG

IMG_3339.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG

IMG_3343.JPG

IMG_3347.JPG

IMG_3348.JPG

Edited by Janissary

The build is coming along excellent, really nice paintjob.

Don't forgot the red intake warning marking continued on the splitter plate (the "stripe" on the plate):

a4-va93-off67.jpg

Not sure if it matters for your build, just pointing it out in case you missed it, not meant to be a critique. The cannon blast area wasn't quite as large you represented (the whole control access panel). It was only the very rear of that panel and primarily only covered the area immediately inboard of the cannons, can see the relative size of the area compared to the size of the gas ingestion plates above it (these close-ups are from their cruise book):

va-93-1.jpg

va-93-2.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos

Ziggy, thanks so much for the info. You're absolutely right on both accounts. I was aware of the red continuing on the intakes, but I honestly hit the limit of my patience and skill there. I could not figure out a way of masking it without making a mess so just left it like that. I saw one museum A-4 (USS Midway I think) painted like that which was the excuse I was looking for :)

The blast panels is a total screw up on my part! On the port side, there is still a panel I will need to paint between the metallic panel and the cannon well, but I think that currently bare panel is what I should have painted in the first place! I think I will do that, but leave the other panels as they are (hopefully others won't make this mistake).

I will unfortunately be using the VA-93 decals I posted on the first page, despite all the issues you correctly brought up about that set. Since I am giving this model away to a friend, I hope he won't mind the inaccuracies :) 

Finally onto the decals. I had major cracking problems with the old decal set, which I discovered unpleasantly with the port side tail flash. But at the end, all worked ok.

- Applied two coats of Testors decal bonder, about 10 hours apart.

- Cut the decals close to the artwork as the decal bonder essentially created a new layer of clear decal. 

- Once in place, the decals reacted superbly to Solvaset. 

- Cut through the panel lines and rivets and reapplied Solvaset.

- Future thinned with windex as the final protective coat. 

IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_3400.JPG

IMG_3406.JPG

IMG_3407.JPG

IMG_3408.JPG

Edited by Janissary
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone! I very much appreciate it. A few more pics from the latest stages. Oil washes and cleanup:

IMG_3438.JPG

After the oils, I satin coated it with Vallejo matte/satin coat, then weathered it a little bit more with oils and pastels, then applied a thick coat of Future to blend everything together. Also attached the slats and horizontal stabs:

IMG_3505.JPG

IMG_3507.JPG

IMG_3508.JPG

I am also planning for a base. I found Mike's (mgrandison) awesome tarmac image files here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/184516-132-printable-tarmac-files/&

Thank you Mike for making these available! I downloaded the 1/48 Navy Master and had it printed at FedEx:

IMG_3512.JPG

Finally, everything is dull coated and ready for the last sets of painting (the canon panel area mostly), pastel weathering for leaks and grime, and the assembly of the remaining bits:

IMG_3536.JPG

IMG_3542.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

A few pics of the latest stages. Using the nice demo at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSy8by13Uvk, I tried to add a few details to the otherwise bare seat:

IMG_3456.JPG

A lousy first try, but will have to make do:

IMG_3670.JPG

For the base, I attached the printout to a thin poster paper to give it some thickness, then attached everything to the base using 3M's spray adhesive:

IMG_3591.JPG

IMG_3592.JPG

Other bits and pieces:

IMG_3593.JPG

The kit is nicely detailed that come to life with a wash. Masking the nose LG tire was definitely not easy, but satisfied with the result.

IMG_3643.JPG

I attached the air brakes in a slightly cracked position, just to break the monotony of the surface. Also attached the tanks:

IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

Starting to come together:

IMG_3698.JPG

IMG_3699.JPG

IMG_3700.JPG

IMG_3701.JPG

I will remask and paint the canon area 

IMG_3702.JPG

IMG_3703.JPG

IMG_3704.JPG

I'm trying to finish my own A-4 and wish it looked half as good as yours.  I always enjoy following your builds.  Thanks for all the in progress photos and descriptions.

Rodney

Thank you both very much, I appreciate it. While I enjoy sharing these pics, they sadistically reveal all the screw ups too. I always cringe the first time view these pics on the computer.  

More masking and fixin'. Alclad Stainless Steel this time, followed by brownish feathering. Also visible are the various antennas, pitot tube and sensors I just attached:

IMG_3735.JPG

Some dirt and grime using Mig AK enamels and generic oderless mineral spirits:

IMG_3736.JPG

After 3-5 minutes of drying, working the dirt with a brush until a layer of dirt is left behind:

IMG_3738.JPG

Starboard side a little less prominent:

IMG_3739.JPG

Canon barrels painted in flat black, then rubbed with pencil dust, followed by a very light sliver dry brush. I was going to dirty up the sides of the cockpit too, but decided to leave them clean:

IMG_3740.JPG

Only the HUD, snakeyes and the canopy details remaining! Hopefully the next set of pictures will be the last of this WIP. 

Final stretch... I decided to use only one Snakeye. Painted and weathered with Tamiya colors:

IMG_3742.JPG

There is nothing to hold the canopy up, so used a jig for alignment and support and CAed the canopy. After it dried, I added a triangular piece to joint from the inside for further strength:

IMG_3743.JPG

Further weathering of the snakeye. These washes are really practical (they are enamel so dry much faster than oils), but they are so expensive. I only have three bottles.

IMG_3755.JPG

• 2 months later...