F-20 Tighershark Question

Currently working on the 1/48 Freedom Models F-20 and had a question about some scoops .

On the top of the vertical stabilizer root right above the square air vent are two small scoops; anyone know what they were for?

Thanks

Jim Barr

Kl8lPy.jpg

I don't know, but here are a couple of pics with a better view that show (at least on 82-0062) they weren't always there, and a cutaway that shows the only thing in that area looks to be the hydraulics for the rudder.

3ba054f3b3b079b1503dd53d6b966749.jpg

F-20_flying.jpg

7-1.jpg

Habu2

Yes I have those pictures and cut away along with some other and as you say they all show just some rudder control components. Aircraft 062 was the "1st" prototype starting off as a F-5G and as your pictures shows did not initially have the scoops but later they were fitted and as well as to the other two F-20s built.

Regards

Jim Barr

82-0062 did have the intake ducts on the top of the fin base during the 1983 Paris airshow. They are painted white, hence they are difficult to see. In Habu2's first image, look at the spot where the lower wide black stripe meets the red. There is a faint white step in the black border. That's the intake duct.

Phantomdriver

Ram air enters into the opening at the very front of the vertical stabilizer root and goes into the oil cooler and the ECS pre-cooler and as far as I can tell exits out the square vent that is right below the scoops in question. Also looking at the picture I posted there is small square vent on both sides of the fuselage located above the "44" of the registration code where ram air comes in and circulates to help cool the engine and exits through the two oval vents near the top of the fuselage right next to the exhaust nozzle. So I have been able to piece together some idea of what is going on with the ram air it that part of the fuselage.

The scoops are mounted right above the square vent so the air flow and would either have to empty right into the vent, which might mean the air coming off the oil cooler and ECS pre-cooler needed to be augmented for some reason (which seems a bit unlikely), or the air goes to cool some other component in that area, or to provide additional cooling for the GE 404 engine. Open to any info on this.

Regards

Jim Barr