Hi everyone! I'm planning to build the Ghost Viggen using the Aviation Workshop decal #48169, I'm wondering if I could just use the Tarangus SAAB JA37 Viggen kit #4803 OOB, since the Aviation specified that the Ghost Viggen belongs to the AJS-37 and not the JA37 from the kit? Thanks in advance!

Edited by flybywire

the most obvious difference is that they didn't have the same tail.(the JA-37 have a "kink" in the leading edge of the tail) , also the JA-37 kit has a "plug" in the middle of the fuselage to make it longer.

but if you're in for some scratch building, this should be doable.

Edited by mingwin

Short answer: yes.  The Jaktviggen kit includes all the parts from the AJ 37.

The AJ tail is on a sub-sprue, but is included in the box, so it's possible to build either type from the Tarangus box.  Most of the fighter-specific parts (fuselage plug, cockpit, antennae, gun pack) are on a separate sprue which you can just toss, then follow the attack kit's instructions: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10316830

FWIW, Special Hobby's AJ 37 kit includes a small PE fret with cockpit and airframe details, with the Tarangus JA 37 kit lacks (it's the same plastic - the kit is a co-op between SH and Tarangus).  Also, Special Hobby are releasing a kit for that specific aircraft in a couple of months: http://www.specialhobby.info/2017/01/sh48188-aj-37-viggen-show-must-go-on-in.html

One thing not in the Tarangus kit (and not needed on the JA), but also missing from the Special Hobby kit (where it IS needed) is the ventral strake running from the centerline pylon to the ventral fin (visible in this pic below).
DSC6556.jpg

As already mentioned, just leave out the plug between the forward and rear fuselage and use the shorter, un-kinked fin. Also, use the correct cockpit. The AJ 37 dash is the one with the round radar display in the middle. The JA had a square radar display and a square moving map/tactical display. The Attack-version also had a separate joystick for the radar, next to the throttle. In my Tarangus kits the instructions actually tells you to use this part, and for an AJ you should.

Anyway, This is an AJ (or rather AJS) cockpit:
DSC0166.jpg

4 hours ago, erik_g said:

One thing not in the Tarangus kit (and not needed on the JA), but also missing from the Special Hobby kit (where it IS needed) is the ventral strake running from the centerline pylon to the ventral fin (visible in this pic below).
DSC6556.jpg

As already mentioned, just leave out the plug between the forward and rear fuselage and use the shorter, un-kinked fin. Also, use the correct cockpit. The AJ 37 dash is the one with the round radar display in the middle. The JA had a square radar display and a square moving map/tactical display. The Attack-version also had a separate joystick for the radar, next to the throttle. In my Tarangus kits the instructions actually tells you to use this part, and for an AJ you should.

Anyway, This is an AJ (or rather AJS) cockpit:
DSC0166.jpg

I'll watch out for the strake and thank you for the additional info esp. on the cockpit!

Edited by flybywire
5 hours ago, erik_g said:

And surprisingly, Maestro don't sell one for $15 + S&H.  :rolleyes: