Sprues at the ready to build Star Trek Vulcan Shuttle as Starfleet “Herschel”   AMT 1:187 

I expect to assemble it as what-if "Herschel"; Starfleet scheme. Decals for such are in the kit box. The kit is the recent Round 2 release with Aztec decals and molded in mauve plastic.

DSC04692.jpg

Edited by Lost_Erik
Figured out image links.
  • 3 weeks later...

Painted, ready and running with decals. I went with a white vs light grey. The mauve colour is gone: easier on my eyes and a little more Starfleet.

I’m disappointed that the decals don’t fit too well. They seem slightly oversized in many cases. Good design intentions to fit corners and contours are not having the desired effect. I'm using more license than I expected. The kit decals have also provided me practice with Micro-Sol and Mr. Mark Softer. I’ve decided to have fun with the process and not dwell on the lost precision.

DSC04715.jpg

DSC04717.jpg

Yes, I will change my expectations for fit and use them.

I had reasonable results this evening on the underside of the shuttle cabin. I cut the decals between panels and thus changed panel line spacing. I should have thought of such earlier. That approach won't work on all of the kit's decals. I will be applying some creative license on several.

(Now; Time to put my note away and enjoy the build!)

Edited by Lost_Erik
(Now; Time to put my note away and enjoy the build!)
  • 2 weeks later...

Small update: Base decals applied to all but the front of the nacelles; my grip points. There is still time to switch from "Herschel" to "Halley" or a bleached Vulcan ship! I’m thinking Humbrol matt varnish for the overcoat unless someone already played that game and knows better.                  (Yes, I will test/try a lesser seen space first.)

DSC04788.jpg

DSC04790.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This evening the Vulcan designed Starfleet shuttle Herschel departed from my bench on its next mission.

The weather was great locally. Such allowed me to finish tagging the stand using the rattle cans I had planned for the purpose.DSC04811.jpg

DSC04802.jpg

DSC04803.jpg

DSC04800.jpg

(A warmer toned light for the above image)

DSC04808.jpg

Edited by Lost_Erik