CD72065 - 1/72 U-2A/C Dragon Lady

3 minutes ago, Paul Boyer said:

OK, so one half to one side, the other to the other side.

Correct.  It's clearly two different decals on the 1/48 sheet.  The layout on the 1/72 is a bit different.  Can't wait to see what you do with this Paul!

I have never seen the Academy kit and haven't seen the Airfix one in years.  Now I have to hunt one down.

For one,  I have a much simplier scheme in mind:

scan0047-4.jpg

scan0046-4_1.jpg

scan0039.jpg

scan0038.jpg

I'm just not sure what version these aircraft are.  The first two I took in 1972 and the second two I took in 1974.

ikar, your photos show the much different, enlarged U-2R (also designated TR-1 for a while) which could not be made from the Academy/Airfix kits. Those kits are of the earlier U-2A/B/C type. There were some plainly marked early versions, too. Were your photos from U-Tapao?

The first two were.  We were on a bus heading for the freedom bird when the driver slammed on the brakes as they went by. I was standing in the front of the isle and got the shots.

The other two I took on my second tour at Korat.  It was parked alongside a reventment at the end of the C-130 area.  Had a feeling it might have come from U-Tapao and my have had a maintenance problem but never found out. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

#1 on the Hannants top-selling items list today! Both 1/48 and 1/72 U-2 sheets have done very well, and I am looking forward to seeing your built-up U-2s. I will follow up with a U-2S/TR-1 sheet in the next few months.

• 4 years later...
14 hours ago, KursadA said:

Now that the new Hobby Boss 1/72 U-2 kit is released, I reprinted this sheet (CD72065). It should be available either in March or April.

I never managed to get hold of one of these sheets, so good news for the half-dozen Airfix and Seminar kits which have sat at varying stages of assembly and painting for longer than I care to remember - means I might eventually get around to completing them!