4 hours ago, Gordon Shumway said:

Don't forget they transition to Super Hornets by what? Sept. this year I think.

Legacy hornets where such gracious and elegant aircraft, they will be missed...

in the other hand... i'm very curious of what could look like a SH with a gloss/shinny/glass-like finish...(instead of the usual flat/weathered/stained gray...)

BTW there is a Typo in the thread's title...

Blue-Angle.jpg

Edited by mingwin
5 hours ago, Gordon Shumway said:

Don't forget they transition to Super Hornets by what? Sept. this year I think.

That's not coming for a few more seasons. The flight testing was done but nothing in the way of aircraft procurement or mods happening yet.

1 hour ago, 82Whitey51 said:

That's not coming for a few more seasons. The flight testing was done but nothing in the way of aircraft procurement or mods happening yet.

I was sure I read the Blue's were going to switch mid season 2017, September or something like that.

Is the gun really removed...interesting. That must move the CofG allot, change the AC Weight and Balance a significant amount. There is also a tool used under the tailhook when gun removed and engines in, to prevent tipping. I wonder if there is a ballast in-place to accommodate the change in ac CofG. But then if there is a ballast, why go to the trouble (leave the gun in - cover the ports)?

I would guess the gun comes out so they have one ready if they need it. Training, spares whatever. No point leaving it in an airframe that will never use it. Ballast would cost less then buying a new gun.

I may be waaaay wrong on this (...my memory isn't what it used to be...), but I recall talking to a Blues pilot soon after they transitioned to the Hornet and I seem to remember him saying the gun was removed and in its place a tank was installed that housed the "smoke" (oil) they use for the shows. Right or wrong...I have no idea? But it sounds reasonable and makes more sense then lugging the gun around for no real reason.

Cheers!

Don is right, the ammo drum is replaced by an oil drum for the smoke system.

An inverted fuel system is added to Blues jets as well as other minor mods such as load springs to the flight sticks and timing watches next to the HUDs ...

-Gregg

Kids, I swear.  I was 12 or so when I first saw them in the big, brawny Phantoms in Galveston.  1970, give or take.  Last time was about 2008 at Wings Over Houston. Well, that's not quite true. I can see part of their routine from my front lawn.

I can't remember if I saw them in Scooters.

Edited by Slartibartfast

I was 2 when I seen the Blues in F-11 Tigers, 3 when I seen them in F-4 Phantoms.

I watched my last A-4 show in October 1986 at NAS Pt Mugu and seen them in the Hornet for the first time at NAF El Centro in March 1987...

-Gregg

Well, it will be interesting seeing them in SH's...essentially an aircraft almost as big as an F-15.  I don't think it is going to look all that great.  The SH seems to be a step down in terms of agility, except at really low speeds.  The best I have ever seen the BA's look is when they were flying A-4's.

Edited by DutyCat