Best overall 1/48 F/A-18A-D -- Hasegawa or Kinetic?

I think Kinetic is well ahead in options, and detail.  The fit is not bad and is about equal to what I remember from the Hasegawa Hornet.  With all of that said, it still doesn't fall together like a Tamiya Tomcat.  There's going to be some elbow grease. 

I you asked for an alpha-delta bird but i think it will build up the same as the charlie bird. give this watch. he has a video build review as well. I think the biggest problem was the front nose. the breakdown is a bit...well.....

Edited by randypandy831

I don't have a Kinetic kit yet, I have built a lot of Hasegawa Hornet kits. Eventually I will buy a Kinetic it.

i know the Kinetic kit has its advantages, full intake, scribing is more defined, newer tooling. I worked on Hornets for eight years, to my eye there just isn't something right about the nose on the Kinetic Hornet. And that is why I haven't run out to buy one (yet). I suspect when I have one in my hands I will change my view on what kit is the best,

With that being said, a close and dear friend of mine was instrumental in getting this kit released. There is even a dedication in the kit to Rick Chin. Sadly, Rick recently passed away and is still dearly missed.

Ironically I gave Raymond some of the access to the aircraft Kinetic has produced. I had no idea he was one of my guests during tours at our base as Rick kept that secret to me. Raymond and I drank a few beers together and I only found out the significance of who he was several years later. 😮

22 hours ago, Scooby said:

I don't have a Kinetic kit yet, I have built a lot of Hasegawa Hornet kits. Eventually I will buy a Kinetic it.

i know the Kinetic kit has its advantages, full intake, scribing is more defined, newer tooling. I worked on Hornets for eight years, to my eye there just isn't something right about the nose on the Kinetic Hornet. And that is why I haven't run out to buy one (yet). I suspect when I have one in my hands I will change my view on what kit is the best,

With that being said, a close and dear friend of mine was instrumental in getting this kit released. There is even a dedication in the kit to Rick Chin. Sadly, Rick recently passed away and is still dearly missed.

Ironically I gave Raymond some of the access to the aircraft Kinetic has produced. I had no idea he was one of my guests during tours at our base as Rick kept that secret to me. Raymond and I drank a few beers together and I only found out the significance of who he was several years later. 😮

Hi Scooby,

I have the same through when we started the F/A-18 projects years ago, we use the cross section material and also some measurement from Rick to construct the solid state model. After reviewing the shape for ?? 2-3 years among different consultant on the project, we discover that many of us has been familiar with the Hasegawa kit and think it is the most accurate one. Like the vertical tail, many of us thinks the Hasegawa one is correct and thanks to Dave which point the vertical height is correct on ours and Monogram, our mistake on the C is the upper edge of the tail is longer by 1.5mm so making the tail too short with the same height. Hasegawa one is actually 2mm more than the actual tail. This has been applied to the new F/A-18A/B tail. The C tail will be taken care later on.

Besides, the backspine on Hasegawa and even 1/32 Academy is not accurate, we triple check the material and cut out several kits to examine, compare and find out the Hornet spine is more "square" not rounded. That is why we spare so long time to develop the Hornet. We can missed some minor detail where we can add it back later on, but the basic shape is not able to correct. 

Thank for your help to allow us to access the aircraft, we take many pictures on the RCAF C-17A, (I know there is microwave cooker in the cockpit!), we will use those material to deliver an accurate GlobalMaster!