VMA-AW-533 A-6E loadout in Desert Storm

Hi all,

I just started my next project..... a pair of Fujimi 72nd A-6's. One is going to be an A-6B from VA-34, while the other is going to be an E from VMA-AW-533 during Desert Storm. I've found a load out that I want to do on page 72 of World Air Power Journal Volume 12. It depicts a 533 bird shot head on with what appears to be MER's + 6 mk. 82 LDGPs on the outer stations, a GBU-12 on the right inner station, and an ALQ-167 ECM pod on the left inner station. My question is: does anyone know what version of the ALQ-167 would have been used during this time frame? Thanks, Fred K.

9 hours ago, achterkirch said:

158539_1.jpg

http://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/a-6.html

scroll all the way down to the bottom of the last link and there's another picture there. With an ALQ-167. Looks like there were at least two versions in theater at the time. 

I found both of those pics during searches too, but its hard to tell which version they are. If both were used I guess that it doesn't really matter! Thanks, Fred

9 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

What happened to that aircraft?

it was No. 3 in a group of 4 Intruders from the Saratoga, dropping cluster bombs I believe over an airfield.  It was a low-level night attack, no.2  (with Lts. Zaun and Wetzel) was shot down.  no 3 diverted to Saudi Arabia.  After this mission, the Navy generally quit low-level attacks..

Edited by Benner
On 1/27/2017 at 4:18 PM, f5guy said:

Hi all,

I just started my next project..... a pair of Fujimi 72nd A-6's. One is going to be an A-6B from VA-34, while the other is going to be an E from VMA-AW-533 during Desert Storm. I've found a load out that I want to do on page 72 of World Air Power Journal Volume 12. It depicts a 533 bird shot head on with what appears to be MER's + 6 mk. 82 LDGPs on the outer stations, a GBU-12 on the right inner station, and an ALQ-167 ECM pod on the left inner station. My question is: does anyone know what version of the ALQ-167 would have been used during this time frame? Thanks, Fred K.

AN/ALQ-167(V)-70, 71, 72 & 73. The -71 & -73 were Airframe Confighuration 1, with 'horns' on both ends, while the -70 & -72 were AC 2 with 'horns' on the front end and a blunt back end. Operational pods were 36375 gray. Wolfpack has a nice ALQ-167 kit that will get you there.

7 hours ago, mrvark said:

AN/ALQ-167(V)-70, 71, 72 & 73. The -71 & -73 were Airframe Confighuration 1, with 'horns' on both ends, while the -70 & -72 were AC 2 with 'horns' on the front end and a blunt back end. Operational pods were 36375 gray. Wolfpack has a nice ALQ-167 kit that will get you there.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info! I've got a few pics to work with, but its hard to tell which version of the pod is being used. I was planning on using the Wolfpack resin pod, but was trying to determine which rear end piece to use on it. It almost sounds like it doesn't really matter. Thanks again, Fred.

2 hours ago, f5guy said:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info! I've got a few pics to work with, but its hard to tell which version of the pod is being used. I was planning on using the Wolfpack resin pod, but was trying to determine which rear end piece to use on it. It almost sounds like it doesn't really matter. Thanks again, Fred.

The one in the picture above only has the forward antennas and has the blunt aft end.  The easiest way to tell in a picture taken from that angle are the four fins on the aft section of the pod.  They weren't fitted when the aft antennas were carried on any of the 167 pods I flew with.

Regards,

Murph

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:03 PM, Murph said:

The one in the picture above only has the forward antennas and has the blunt aft end.  The easiest way to tell in a picture taken from that angle are the four fins on the aft section of the pod.  They weren't fitted when the aft antennas were carried on any of the 167 pods I flew with.

Regards,

Murph

Thanks again Jim ;0) Fred.