tamiya extra thin VS airfix plastic

We all know that airfix plastic is very soft or too soft if that. Like any other build, I use tamiya extra thin cement and it seems extremely hot when applied to airfix plastic. It just turns it into gel if anything. I tried using very little cement but same problem. My 1/48 Pr.XIX build might just get tossed. 

anyone else have this problem? I have a bottle of Mr.Cement. should I give that a try or should I just ditch solvent based cements all in all when dealing with airfix kits?

thanks! 

Edited by randypandy831
2 hours ago, randypandy831 said:

We all know that airfix plastic is very soft or too soft if that. Like any other build, I use tamiya extra thin cement and it seems extremely hot when applied to airfix plastic. It just turns it into gel if anything. I tried using very little cement but same problem. My 1/48 Pr.XIX build might just get tossed. 

anyone else have this problem? I have a bottle of Mr.Cement. should I give that a try or should I just ditch solvent based cements all in all when dealing with airfix kits?

thanks! 

I never use anything but Tamiya Extra Thin and haven't had a problem with any Airfix kits including the new ones. On the other hand, I'm very economical with my glues. They fit very tight, so the amount of glue that wicks into the joint is very little to nevertheless give a good joint.  Your mileage obviously varies, but for me it seems to work best with the new Airfix plastic

Shane