Hi All,

It's been a while since my post on the hangar thread about my build plans.

I actually had planned to bring the kits and several (read: limited) tool with me to work (I work in an off-shore rig). And hence, my progress will be very slow and filled with blurry pictures from my phone. :wave:

Start with the cockpit I spray the tub with Tamiya XF-69 Nato Black and brushed the panels with Revell Panzergrau, and Revell Mausgrau. And permanent marker pen for the screens. The weathering was done with Tamiya brown panel liner wash, Flory model wash, and dusting with Tamiya weathering pastel. I tried to hold the weathering to a minimum, since the references I found on-line didn't show too much dust and dirt inside the canopy. Surprising, since I imagine Apache would mostly operates from FARPS and fly low.

IMG_20170128_213427.jpg

For this build I want to try to mixed my own Helo Drab by mixing Nato Black, Khaki Drab, and JGSDF Olive Drab, with MM Enamel US Helo Drab as the benchmark.

IMG_20170128_213022_edit_1485610798297.j

Apache got a black yet roomy cockpit, and Hase provide nice pair of Pilot and Copilot/Gunner (CP/G), but they have same face and generic pose. So I took a leap of faith and modify them a bit.

IMG_20170128_214415.jpg

That's all for now.. I hope I can finish the figures in the next few days (well, more like a week probably), but first I have to figure how to primer them since I got mine left at home. Any comments are welcome...

Cheers,

Mario

Indonesia

• 2 weeks later...

Ya tuhanku! The hands of the pilots are big as cover from a toilet bowl! Looking forward to see the guys painted! Hope you have nice weather out there in rainy seasion now.

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments..

6 hours ago, scotthldr said:

How's your build going, have you got round to assembling the main fuselage yet?

Actually yes.. got a bit carried away few days ago and ended up gluing the the cockpit, rotor head, and the fuselage together.

No progress on the figures though, I still cleaning up the blemish from the epoxy putty, seam lines, etc.

5 hours ago, tobiK said:

Ya tuhanku! The hands of the pilots are big as cover from a toilet bowl! Looking forward to see the guys painted! Hope you have nice weather out there in rainy seasion now.

Betul, tobiK! the twins really have big hands don't they..? And I just realize it when I simulate the position I want. I will try to scrape their hand a bit so it won't look like they have a disease LOL.

I'm currently in Singapore, it's already stop raining since several days after Chinese New Year... Don't really know about back home though.

Will try to post picture(s) tonight.. "try" since we just got our internet back few days ago, so it's still hard to upload pictures.

Cheers,

Mario

Indonesia  

9 hours ago, lifeline said:

I still cleaning up the blemish from the epoxy putty, seam lines, etc.

Sounds like you're having the same enduring task as me, really surprised by how poor the fit is of the main parts namely the fuselage, sponsons and stub wings.  Looks like the rivet detail however good it appears to start with, actually throws off the mating surfaces leaving a gap between the parts.

On 2/7/2017 at 9:59 PM, scotthldr said:

Sounds like you're having the same enduring task as me, really surprised by how poor the fit is of the main parts namely the fuselage, sponsons and stub wings.  Looks like the rivet detail however good it appears to start with, actually throws off the mating surfaces leaving a gap between the parts.

Surely is scott... 

IMG_20170208_205758_edit_1486558723326.j

I tried to scrape and sand the underside of the fuselage without losing the rivet detail. It turned out to be unsuccessful effort, I have to accept that I will lose some rivets, and will figure out a method to replace it.

Same with the upper side

IMG_20170208_210059_edit_1486629839384.j

But fortunately almost no rivets in the area, except the ones surrounding the two nose panels (pointed by the brush, lower right in the picture). In hindsight, I should've follow the instruction and glued it later.

I decided to add the air conditioning hose behind the seats using stretched sprue covered by thin wire, SSU sensor for the pilot (Hasegawa only provide the ones for CP/G compartement), I also modifed the circuit breaker parts and put it behind the pilot seat (Hasegawa instruct the panel to be placed inside the upper left canopy frame, which is only correct for AH-64A).

IMG_20170208_210242_edit_1486559078270_e

Cheers,

Mario

Indonesia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

It's been a while and I didn't have any "bench" time..

But in past few days, I was able to tidy up the build, add few details (cockpit detonation cord, brake lines), prime it and ready to paint...

IMG_20170521_193722.jpg

Will start laying down the home-mixed helo drab / CARC Green

Cheers,

Mario

Indonesia

Terima kasih tobik... Yes I wish I could have enough time! There's no seaking in modern luftwaffe isn't it? ;)

Here after a coat of home mixed CARC Green /Helo Drab. I decided and played with the colour tone and make splotches simulating the paint patches and weathering.

IMG_20170522_215755.jpg

IMG_20170522_215619.jpg

Cheers,

Mario

Indonesia

Edited by lifeline
2 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

HAJO is right! Even not in Luftwaffe service, but in "Marine" (Navy) service. And due to the GB rules, the modern german navy is included! At least with all what is flying.

BTW. greets to Alex and Peter! Miss you guys!

Hello...

It's been a week without any update, but due to a good reason..

Several hours after my last update, I got this; 

IMG_20170527_160009_HHT.jpg

Our first born... A 3.5kg and 50cm baby girl! 

So the Apache need to wait behind endless diaper change, baby laundries, and bath.

I only able to gloss up the Apache and made the anti slip surface on the stub wings using Mr.Surfacer and Tamiya Rubber Black.

IMG_20170531_180703.jpg

I just found out that the box's decal is all broken due to long storage. Guess I have to buy AM decals...

Cheers,

Mario

Indonesia

Edited by lifeline
On 5/25/2017 at 4:46 AM, tobiK said:

HAJO is right! Even not in Luftwaffe service, but in "Marine" (Navy) service. And due to the GB rules, the modern german navy is included! At least with all what is flying.

BTW. greets to Alex and Peter! Miss you guys!

So....

This would be a good idea, then? :rolleyes:

IMG_20170531_192040_HDR.jpg

Cheers,

Mario

Indonesia

Congrats, Mario! Best wishes to Baby girl and mother, too! 

Hmm, I now the indonesian solution when a person has not enough time e.g for building models: take a nanny! I know the salaries are quite low for nannies there. ;-)

Thank you for the kind words guys...

On 6/2/2017 at 6:45 AM, tobiK said:

Congrats, Mario! Best wishes to Baby girl and mother, too! 

Hmm, I now the indonesian solution when a person has not enough time e.g for building models: take a nanny! I know the salaries are quite low for nannies there. ;-)

LOL... The concept of having a nanny for our girl is still unacceptable for the wife (at least for now), so it's still my chore then :D. Anyway.. best wishes from Peter and Alex, tobiK!

As for the Apache;

IMG_20170605_005313.jpg

Decal finished! After the disasterous in box decal, I choose to buy IsraDecals AH-64D Apache (Thanks tobiK). And it works nicely. 

Next would be seal all the decals with clear gloss and start the weathering process...

Cheers,

Mario

Indonesia

Thanks Neo.

Now... Time to salt the Apache;

IMG_20170606_112506.jpg

Followed several shades to simulate paint patches and degradation;

IMG_20170606_115840.jpg

Looks very harsh but will blend it with oil wash, and another coat of clear...

Cheers,

Mario

Indonesia