14 hours ago, beingthehero said:

https://sputniknews.com/amp/military/201701271050083906-mig35-analysis-interview/

Hopefully we will finally see a model of the MiG-35 now, instead of a single small diecast model...

What? Like Paveway?  They already have KAB-500.

Or direct laser?  Where the blazes will they get the 50-60kW power to make one of those useful beyond rock throwing range? Seems odd but technologically interesting if factual.

Shane

2 hours ago, Lancer512 said:

Have you guys read that article?

To me it seems like this is an upgrade to the MiG-29 for laser guided weapons. We've seen upgrades like this for the F-16 for decades now..

The article simply stated that the MiG would have "laser weaponry".  Didn't state anything specific.   Since the Russians already have laser guided bombs / missiles, my guess is that they are simply talking about integrating a targeting pod onto the aircraft.   Not a very big (or impressive) deal IMO but I guess it makes for an impressive headline. 

3 hours ago, Lancer512 said:

Have you guys read that article?

To me it seems like this is an upgrade to the MiG-29 for laser guided weapons. We've seen upgrades like this for the F-16 for decades now..

I fully admit to not reading state sponsored propaganda. 

13 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

I fully admit to not reading state sponsored propaganda. 

I did.  And a couple of others (Pravda and RT - the NSA head used to work there, so it must be fine...).

I agree that the articles aren't terribly clear, and I had the same reaction after reading it: "so, like... LGBs?".  The RT headline explicitly states 'laser guns' (designed to potentially use future weapons like laser guns').

So, yes, the claim is that they will cram this:

pennwell.web.500.271.gif

Into this:

071220_mig15.jpg

Shouldn't be hard to shrink the size...

150420070356-restricted-04-iran-military

Edited by MoFo
3 hours ago, 11bee said:

Pew.... Pew.... Pew...

We have a laser gap.   When will the US finally get around to putting lasers on the hopelessly obsolete F-22 and F-35?  

We need to make American jets great again!

We are still dangerously short of IRST too!

3 hours ago, Model-Junkie said:

Maybe it is referring to the OLS-K targeting pod to be integrated with the MiG-35.  Source

The RT iteration of the propaganda news specifically mentions 'laser guns'  that will potentially be developed in the future.  It's their headline.

The president of Russia's United Aircraft Corporation has said that the MiG-35 is designed to use laser guns in the future.

"The fighter is designed especially to carry out military tasks in conflicts of higher intensity, in conditions of high density of air defense," the head of the corporation, Yury Slyusar, said at a meeting in the Kremlin on Thursday. Saying that thanks to its new onboard equipment, which provides for a much lower radar signature, the construction of the MiG-35 "allows the use of both current and future munitions, including laser weapons."

Like, I get that in the real world, it would make a whole lot more sense if they were talking about LGB's or laser designation pods.  But they aren't.  They are talking about laser guns.

I guess 'plasma stealth' is too passe.   :rolleyes:

(oh, and they also refer to it as 'generation 4++', FWIW)

What was actually stated and nothing beyond that;

We have increased the number of hardpoints from 6 to 8 which allows to use current and perspective/future types of aircraft weapons, including laser weapons...

+

Mastering/development of laser weapons for MiG-35 will happen right after the completion of its flight testing.

So the Sputnik article is accurate in its text regarding almost everything - it wrote pretty much exactly what has been stated. MiG-35 wont be using Zhuk-A/AE or other AESA modifications unlike alluded to in the article unless they change their mind on it, but will be using the vanilla Zhuk/Zhuk-M. It wont be using RD-33MKM engines either, again, unless they change their mind on it. Basically it is a plane that is should have flown decade ago and with RuAF supporting AESA radar and MKM engine.

And btw, laser weaponry is being developed for sixth gen fighters in US and soviet Union had plenty of experience with lasers.

Edited by Berkut
2 hours ago, beingthehero said:

I'm surprised this turned into a debate about fake news...

It's not fake news.  It's real news.  It's just coming from state-sponsored propaganda outlets, which visibly colour the tone of the reporting.  

But yeah, it would be nice to see a new kit.  

I tend to believe it is a real laser weapon to be mounted on the MiG-35. It certainly wont be the high energy laser that was tested by US earlier on but more likely of a lower level laser that is used to blind or even kill the sensors of incoming infrared missiles. Now that can be fitted in some sensible size pods can't it?

I honestly think people on this forum are overreacting a little about the article. Reading through it, and having listened to the original statement by Bondarev, the article seems to be a pretty accurate reflection of what he said, except that they did what journalists around the world always do in these situations - they took what appeared to them the most exciting bit, and made that the headline. It is not fake news, propaganda, or what-not - simply pretty average journalism.

I remember years ago when we received Gripens in South Africa, one of my colleagues was told to host an interview with a lady who was supposedly one of the "foremost defence journalists" in our country. He gave her a tour and told her about all the interesting bits and pieces of the aircraft, how it would change or improve things in the SAAF over the Cheetahs that came before it, etc. He got into all sorts of what he assumed were interesting details about the aircraft, such as the wider g-envelope, wonderful handling qualities, great HMI, lower operating costs and many other things, and then fielded a host of questions including various ones about the pilots gear and equipment. At one point, she asked him what they carry in their survival pack, and one of the items he mentioned was that they have a shark repellent (rather important if you go down in the waters off the South African coast). So, we were all excitedly waiting for the brilliant article this leading defence journalist was going to put out after such a detailed and rather exclusive interview. Know what the heading was? "SAAF Pilots now Issued with Shark Repellent". :crying:. It just went downhill from there, as she talked about how this is now a Mach 9 aircraft (obviously getting confused in the discussion of the aircraft's g capability).

So, all in all, an article that is a fairly accurate reflection of what the Russian spokesman said, although probably overemphasizing one comment of his (which could be interpreted as anything from laser-guided weapons, to laser based defence systems all the way through to a "death laser") - is not too bad going as far as propaganda, fake-news, typical journalism goes.

The aircraft itself looks like a very deep upgrade of the MiG-29 and may turn out to be pretty capable, within the constraints of the relatively small airframe of course. It may do pretty well as a light fighter counterpart for the Su-30 and Su-35, and it may also be quite attractive to various of Russia's traditional export customers - especially those that cannot afford to operate the more expensive (especially to operate) Sukhois.

Edited by Mfezi
3 hours ago, Camus272 said:

We've also announced laser weapons for the F-35 . . . down the road.  It may take a few decades to implement, but I'm sure it will happen eventually for both forces.

God, I can only imagine the cost overruns on that project......