1/72 Hasegawa B-47E

I started this project several years ago, however, I benched it almost exactly three years ago to build the 1/72 Modelsvit Tu-144.  The 144 is almost ready to paint, but that's a different story.  I was doing an in-progress build over on Zone Five.  Here's how far along I've come:

http://zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=24686

I just finished a few projects for JAXCON (hopefully), Old Dominion Open in Richmond, and the NOVA IPMS show here in the DC area.  While I was searching IPMS USA, I came across Mosquitocon that's a little over two months away and saw that there is a Best Cold War theme.  I asked myself if I could finish a project in 63 days, which one would it be?  Pretty much any post-WWII jet would qualify, so I settled on a 1/48 U-2 with all the Cutting Edge trimmings.   While sitting on my attic floor, an old cardboard box with "B-47" scrawled on it caught my eye.   Nothing says "Cold War" like a NMF Stratojet with an anti-flash white belly with a nuke inside ready to unleash hell.  

Please check out the Z5 build as I'll be picking things up from where I left off in January 2014. 

The kit has been scribed.  The only aftermarket will be from Pavla in the form of engines and cockpit.  You'll see that I made the "horse-collar" RATO pack.  About the time I was building this, Fisher Mold & Pattern came out with their EC-121 detail sets.  I called Mr Fisher to ask a few questions about the sets.  After a few minutes we got to talking about this build and the scratchbuilding I was doing to include the RATO pack.  A few months later BOOM, his detail kit hit the market.  I gave Mr Fisher a call and my build was the inspiration he needed to produce his set.  I think I got mine for a discount.  I'm glad he did it because I was failing miserably at casting RATO bottles that Paul Boyer sent me from a completed 1/72 F-84 build.

What killed my momentum was the weapons bay.  I didn't have any good pictures of it until Jim Rotramel rescued me with what I needed.  Almost too much information if there is such a thing.  

My last issue is what do I stuff into the bomb bag?  Jim gave me a Spectre Resins Mk 41 thermonuclear bomb.  (Spectre Resins was out of stock for several years, and only recently fired the production-line up again.)  I also have a Spectre Mk 6, and a resin Mk 3 (aka "Fat Man").  Yields for each are 25 MT (highest yield nuke bomb), 160 kT, and 21 kT, respectively.  I'm planning on using the Mk 41, because a resin bomb unused is a useless resin bomb. The Mk 6 does have a wide girth, which means less work for me in the weapons bay.  Check out the pictures below and let me know what you think.  (The Mk 41 is black.) (Photobucket isn't cooperating right now.  I'll add the bomb pictures later.)

Chris

On February 3, 2017 at 10:07 AM, SERNAK said:

Dude, you're not a scale modeller, YOU'RE AN ARTIST !!!!!!!!!!

WOW! What a build so far, and what an interesting aircraft!!

Keep up the good work!

Thank you all for the kind words. I was lucky to find some bomb bay photos and now I'm getting my head wrapped around what I need to do.  One thing I need help with is how to mount the bomb.  I've heard that there was a large set of pincher-like arms that wrap around each nuke, rather than a sway brace of other system we'd seen in a regular situation.  

I wont really be able to move forward on this until mid-February.  

Chris 

• 1 month later...

I've been working on the 1/72 Hasegawa B-47 for a few years.  I've scratchbuilt the wheel bays a while back and getting close to completing the bomb bay.  I still have some wiring, plumbing, and other detail parts.  The nuke is from Spectre Resins (courtesy of Jim Rotramel).  The chain to sling the bomb is a 1/12 working motorcycle chain from Top Studio.  It's a little over-scaled, but beggars can't be choosers.  Each segment has over 200 parts.  

]IMG_4266_zpsqe1ol78t.jpg

]IMG_4263_zpsdd3sdtde.jpg

]IMG_4262_zpscxbkdypk.jpg

Chris 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the recent comments.  I'm currently working on the bomb cradle and trying to figure out what I still need to add to the bay.  I keep finding pictures of details I've missed and/or those I've gotten (way) wrong.  

Chris