Fast Eagle 102 configuration questions

Hi guys, two questions about Fast Eagle 102 in 1981. I can't find the information anywhere.

I know that the loadout for the mission where two libyan Su-22 were downed was 2-2-2. My questions are:

1. Were the fuel tanks under the air intakes used?

2. Were the rear Phoenix pylons in place or removed?

Thanks in advance.

21 hours ago, madcow said:

Hi guys, two questions about Fast Eagle 102 in 1981. I can't find the information anywhere.

I know that the loadout for the mission where two libyan Su-22 were downed was 2-2-2. My questions are:

1. Were the fuel tanks under the air intakes used?

2. Were the rear Phoenix pylons in place or removed?

Thanks in advance.

That may not be totally correct. One of the rails had an electrical short (I think it was 5B), so there would not have been a missile on the rail. 

From information that's been posted over the years, I think the proper load was 2 AIM-7Fs (one under each wing) and 2 AIM-9Ls on the shoulder stations along with the forward AIM-54 pallets (but no Phoenix missiles) for Fast Eagle 102.  As mentioned above, Fast Eagle 107 had a bad starboard AIM-9 rail, so it only carried one Sidewinder, plus the two AIM-7Fs.  As it turned out, it also had a bad radar, so it only had one usable missile for the engagement.  When asked, years after the event, the two aircrews differed on whether they carried external tanks on that mission; although, pictures of the jets (supposedly taken just after the engagement) show the pylons fitted, but no tanks. 

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
37 minutes ago, Murph said:

From information that's been posted over the years, I think the proper load was 2 AIM-7Fs (one under each wing) and 2 AIM-9Ls on the shoulder station along with the forward AIM-54 pallets (but no Phoenix missiles) for Fast Eagle 102.  As mentioned above, Fast Eagle 107 had a bad starboard AIM-9 rail, so it only carried one Sidewinder, plus the two AIM-7Fs.  As it turned out, it also had a bad radar, so it only had one usable missile for the engagement.  When asked, years after the event, the two aircrews differed on whether they carried external tanks on that mission; although, pictures of the jets (supposedly taken just after the engagement) show the pylons fitted, but no tanks. 

Regards,

Murph

Thanks Murph! I couldn't remember exactly which rail was bad.

Thanks guys.

I'll try to find some 1/48th fuel tank pylons or try to detail the Tamiya ones.

The configuration you mentioned is interesting, especially for Fast Eagle 107. I have some photoetch tail stiffeners so it's still a possibility.

4 hours ago, Murph said:

....  When asked, years after the event, the two aircrews differed on whether they carried external tanks on that mission; although, pictures of the jets (supposedly taken just after the engagement) show the pylons fitted, but no tanks. 

Could it be that the tanks were jettisoned during the engagement? Is that even an option on the Tomcat?

12 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

That may not be totally correct. One of the rails had an electrical short (I think it was 5B), so there would not have been a missile on the rail. 

8a on Fast Eagle 107.

Edited by Skull Leader
21 hours ago, Janissary said:

Could it be that the tanks were jettisoned during the engagement? Is that even an option on the Tomcat?

It's certainly possible, but I find the disagreement among the crews about whether they carried them at all interesting.  I know quite a few pilots that jettisoned external tanks (all in high stress combat situations) and they all remember doing it.  It's such an unusual event it sticks in one's mind, so I tend to think they weren't carrying them.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph