I decided to take on this 1/48 scale P-51D to basically use it as a test subject for his bigger brother build in the 1/32 scale Tamiya P-51D.  You can check out that build thread here.  I wanted to try out a couple new techniques and I figure why not test it out on a $30 kit rather than a $100 kit.

Now, this isn’t an exciting first post to start an In-Progress thread, but here we go.  I started out with the wings and bringing them up to snuff with the laminar airfoil technology.  

Many P-51 experts have probably seen this diagram by J.R. Heilig that shows the panel lines that need to be filled.  I used this as my reference.

p-51-mustang-wing-finish.jpg

I first diluted Tamiya’s Basic Putty using Tamiya Lacquer Thinner, the thinner with the yellow top.  Don’t use regular lacquer thinner because it will melt the plastic.  The goal is to dilute the putty enough that it is thinner than the putty out of the tube but thicker than Mr. Surfacer. I then applied it with a Micro Brush.

tamiya-putty-lacquer-thinner-p51-wings.j

tamiya-basic-putty-p-51-wing.jpg

Panel lines filled with Tamiya Basic Putty

A little tip, Micro Brushes are a fantastic little tool for doing everything from cleaning and applying glue to small part holders for painting.  They can be readily found on eBay or hobby sites such as Spruce Brothers.  I like the eBay variants, not only because they are cheaper but their “hairs” are much finer and denser.

micro-brushes.jpg

The key to this method is to remove the excess putty after 5-10 minutes with a q-tip soaked in the Tamiya yellow cap lacquer thinner.  If the putty sits much longer than that it will almost be impossible to remove.

Now, the issue with this method is that it is hard to fill the top section of the panel line, the putty does a great job of giving a base within the panel line but making the putty level with the wing surface is near impossible.  My goal was to give a war beaten look, where after months of ground crew and flight abuse some of the putty has been worn away or dislodged.  However, I realized at this scale that may be too unrealistic. At this scale, you really shouldn’t see any puttied panel lines.  To completely make any recessed areas flush with the wing panels I used Mr. Surfacer 500.  Once I let the Mr Surfacer dry overnight I used progressively finer sandpaper until I ended with a 2000 grit to polish off the laminar wings.  I will be spraying Duraluminum Alclad so the surface must be “baby bottom” smooth.

p-51-puttied-wings.jpg

Example of the Tamiya Basic Putty not filling the panel lines completely

sanded-wing-panel-lines-p-51.jpg

Panel lines filled first with Tamiya Putty and second with Mr Surface 500 and sanded

For my next P-51 at the 1/48 scale, I probably won’t bother filling the panel lines.  Even though this is the correct look, I think some faint panel lines will make for a more interesting look.  Also, when I attempt this on my 1/32 P-51 I will skip the Tamiya putty and probably just use Mr Surfacer.  I feel the Mr Surfacer will give a better illusion of wear and accuracy.

Edited by kvlazer22