1/72 Italaerei Ju 86-D1

I've pulled out my Ju-86D1 from the stash.  I bought it second-hand back in 2005 from the local hobby store for just $12 when we were still living in Iowa.

I built one as a teenager back in the 80s and I remember enjoying building it.  That model is long-gone, so why not do it again?  This is the 1976 boxing of the kit, which was originally released in 1973.

As you can see, I have a set of aftermarket decals, as I'm not sure the 40-year-old kit decals will still be useful.  Otherwise, I'll build it OOB.

DSC08880_zpsrniyhvpq.jpg

DSC08881_zpstxce5oie.jpg

Mike

A bit of progress!  Working on the interior as well as the lower fuselage/wing.

You can see some of the parts for the dorsal gun station installed in the starboard fuselage half.  The interior is mostly made up of a long single floor, with the cockpit and forward bombardier/gunner parts installed. 

If you flip the floor part over, you see some rather generic imprints of what are supposed to be bombs.  These would be visible through the two small bomb bays.  As you can see with the lower fuselage part, I've installed the bomb bay doors closed.  There is also a crew access hatch and ladder that I've installed closed.  The kit comes with a stand, so I'm going to build it gear-up and in flight on the stand.

You can also see part of the assembly for the ventral gun position.  This is a basket that lowers from the fuselage to provide a good field of fire.  All I can say is that gunner would have to have a pair of brass ones, if you know what I mean, to be lowered outside the plane into the slipstream.  The clear part is temporarily installed while the clamps are being glued to the bulkhead; I needed to be sure they were installed correctly so that I can install the clear part later after painting.

DSC08883_zpselwenpel.jpg

Mike

Hi Mike,

A relatively unknown, but yet very interesting aircraft, with a great international career.

Fought on both sides during WW2, as well as flying with neutral countries.

You should have a look toward Kora, who have a collection of conversion/decals sets.

I've in sight the Vichy version, and I'd like to build also a whif wearing Austrian markings using this sheet.

ipms_a10.jpg

Interesting sheet of decals!  Although I'm building the "D" version, I do also have the radial-engine "E" version in my stash.

The aftermarket decals that I'll probably use for this build are from Kora.  They make interesting conversions and decals.

Mike

Edited by mlicari

One of the fun things about classic kits is that they usually come with crew figures!  Here's the crew of 4 for the Ju86.  From left to right: pilot, bombardier/nose gunner, ventral gunner, and dorsal gunner.

As you can see, some assembly is required, and the poor guys have some serious chest wounds that need to be filled in!  :wave:

DSC08898_zpsmjzbwybd.jpg

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry it's been so long!  I've made progress, just slow and didn't have time to monkey with uploading pics.

So, here you can see the interior bulkheads installed and a coat of RLM 02.

DSC08902_zps3dn1ctq1.jpg

And with the rest of the interior installed and the fuselage closed up.  Fit of the fuselage halves was reasonably good.

DSC08912_zpsbiza0p42.jpg

Cheers!

Mike

More work on this one over the weekend.

You can see that the center fuselage/wing part just didn't fit well toward the front.

DSC08927_zpstfnemmkx.jpg

Attaching the wings and setting the correct dihedral

DSC08928_zpstcz0pqsr.jpg

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for my absence!  I've made some progress on this one.

DSC08933_zpsmn6qxrst.jpg

Tail is attached and the engine are on as well.  This is essentially a short-run kit as there are no positive alignment guides but I think think everything is lined up ok.

Not quite visible is a pretty sizeable step along the top fuselage seam.  I've already dealt with it since this picture was taken.

Mike

Some of the crew added!

DSC08936_zpsodgfcuka.jpg

Ran into a serious issue with the canopy part.  It fits very, very poorly.  It's pretty rare where I have a model that requires me to blend in the canopy with putty all around, but here it is...

DSC08937_zpsl2euuwjg.jpg

Very disappointing, and it stalled me for about a week.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I addressed the horrible fit of the canopy, it's time for paint!

Underside got a nice coat of RLM 65.

DSC08942_zpso502hqpf.jpg

The three-color top/side splinter scheme is going to take some serious masking...