How do I weather an F9F Panther?

I'd like to weather my 1/48 Monogram F9F Panther, but I'm not sure how to weather a dark sea blue paint job.  The pics I've looked up from the Korean War era don't show much.  Any ideas on what washes I should use and where to weather it best?  Thanks in advance!

An excellent questions!  I'll be starting my Monogram Panther fairly soon and it would be great to get some insight on this.  I love the look of those gloss sea blue planes but I was just never sure how to weather them.  Being Navy planes, I'm guessing they were well maintained so weathering must be kept to a minimum.  But there must have been SOME wear and tear showing, right?

Eric

It's a beautiful kit!  My only problem with it is how fragile the decals are.  I bought some WWII MIG wash for dark blue aircraft so I could wash my F6F Hellcat. I would think there would be some wear and tear on it haha knowing the Navy and the sailors who work on aircraft there must be oil seep, chipped paint, or mis-colored panels somewhere

On my P2V-3 Neptune build, I used a much-thinned very light grey streaking, fore and aft on flying surfaces and vertically on fuse.: http://www.arcair.com/Gal15/14001-15100/gal14073-Neptune-TheRealMrEd/00.shtm

01.jpg

As you have figured out, the problem is how to make a well-maintained aircraft look "used".

Good luck,

Ed

The gloss sea blue was quite durable and not really susceptible to fading. Most of the weathering would come from dirt and grime building up on the air frame. The film Bridges at Toko Ri" is a good source of inspiration for the ship borne units. The Marines operate from land so their jets got dirty and dusty. Filters and oil dot weathering would probably be good techniques to use. ChuckW's has some good tutorials in the forum here.      

Very Very Lightly. GSB was very durable. For highlight I'd just add a few drops of Light Blue to the GSB and thin it a lot like 60-65% and lightly spray some on the center of the topside panels. You can build it up to your liking. Now  to contrast it add some black to the GSB thin it but not as much as the lighter color and then hit the panel line areas. on the underside I'd just use the darker mix on the panel line areas..all this will make a nice contrast and add some depth and interest to the Boring GSB....For a topcoat I'd use Semi-Gloss instead of Gloss. It will tone down the shine and give it a better appearance IMO.  If you want to add some chipping keep it to a minimum and maybe just around the cockpit and near the ammo and gun access panels. You could say the highest trafffic areas only...Just keep in mind that of all the Paints used by the USN USMC GSB IMO was likely the most durable ever...HTH