1/48 ESCI vs Italeri UH-1D...?

1 hour ago, Hajo L. said:

According to scalemates timeline, the Italeri is just a rebox of the Esci-kit: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/135916-esci-ertl-9009-bell-uh-1d

HAJO

Looks like that is for the 1/72 scale kit. My apologies for not clarifying my original post, I previously neglected to add the scale I was looking at.

Edited by 82Whitey51

I also thought they would be the same molds, but meanwhile following some WIPs in the helo GB I realize that there are differences. Maybe I speak in the name of other guys interested in the 1/48 Huey, a list would be helpful to show + and - for both kits and what parts give the best UH-1D/H.

I'll put the link to my GB 1/48 Huey thread here so you can check it out if you like.  I am doing exactly what Rod and others suggested, kitbashing the Italeri and ESCI 1/48 kits.

Off the top of my head, here are the main issues with each kit:

Italeri UH-1D/H kit- 212 main rotor, tail rotor, instrument panel and seats.  Pretty much all the small parts are also oversized.  The biggest error in the italeri kit and all the 1/72 and 1/35 kits derived form it, is the angle of the windscreen with the nose, it is way too steep.  This is the reason I chose to use the ESCI fuselage as my starting point.

ESCI UH-1D/H kit- very basic cockpit details including misshapen seats and center console with decals for instruments.  The greenhouse windows are really too small, but i have elected to work with them for my build.  The cabin doors are areal no-go with two different sized windows when they should be the same.  Thus I will use the cabin doors form the Italeri kit.  Also, the cockpit windows are all moolded together with the window frame which really doesn't look correct, but I am working on a plan to address that.  

My plan of attack is to use seats from a Cobra Company UH-1C set, cockpit details like the center console and overhead console from the Italeri kit, Eduard PE with the instrument panel form the Monogram Huey Hog kit, cabin doors from the Italeri kit, copious parts from the Eduard 1/48 Italeri PE set and lots of scratch work.  We'll see if I can pull it off, but that's the plan anyway.  Hope that helps.

Ray

Thank you all for the input!

Ray, your UH-1H is coming along real nice! I see you mention using seats from the Cobra Company UH-1C upgrade set, would you happen to have any leads on where to find Cobra Co. products, now that they have closed up shop? I was about to order that UH-1C set on the day they turned off their web site! Frustrating. I figure there must be someone out there who stocked their items.

Cheers!