Simple and Straight OOB Tamiya 1/48 F4F-4 Wildcat

Great little kit.  Straight out of the box with aftermarket decals for LCDR Thach from the Midway timeframe.

Typical Tamiya, falls together.  Careful painting with multiple flavors of early war Navy/Grey gave me something close to what I think that color "should" be(?).

If you are in the mood for a nice relaxing build that won't take up that much room on the shelf, it's a winner.

Cheers
Collin

DSCN7595.jpg

DSCN7606.jpg

DSCN7619.jpg

DSCN7621.jpg

DSCN7631.jpg

DSCN7634.jpg

DSCN7637.jpg

DSCN7643.jpg

Edited by Collin
add more photos
  • 2 weeks later...

Very very nice wildcat there, congratulations! Thanks for posting it. Out of curiosity and a bit out of topic, are there any other Midway F4F-4 wildcat decals in the market? I am only able to find ones depicting #23 of Thatch and nothing else.

• 9 months later...
On 2/1/2017 at 8:03 PM, Collin said:

Great little kit.  Straight out of the box with aftermarket decals for LCDR Thach from the Midway timeframe.

Typical Tamiya, falls together.  Careful painting with multiple flavors of early war Navy/Grey gave me something close to what I think that color "should" be(?).

If you are in the mood for a nice relaxing build that won't take up that much room on the shelf, it's a winner.

Cheers
Collin

This is a fantastic build Collin!  This is what I am looking to do on my TBM-3.  Sorry, I did not want to hi-jack Joel's thread any more than I already had.  I plan to black-base also and use the marbling technique.

Collin,

Now that's one exceptional F4F-4. Just a fantastic job painting and weathering Grumman's little Cat.  

I just ordered the kit along with some o AM. I built the Trumpeter F4F-3 earlier this year, and it was a major struggle just bringing it up to standards, so I'm really looking forward to Tamiya's 1/48 scale offering. 

Joel