CD32022 - 1/32 F-104C in Vietnam

• 1 month later...

Hi Ed,

I do not have a photo that shows this aircraft in its entirety. Sometimes we need to go by what we read in sources believed to be reliable. It is mentioned in several places that Rod Trimble's aircraft was decorated in this manner, and the decals are based on this information.

Well this should make the 1/32nd guys happy.

To be honest I had no interest in the F-104C until I saw your decals. I don't even have a kit of the C since I live in Canada I naturally like my RCAF scheme on the G model. Which reminds me I have to go get the 1/48th sheet since that is the scale I build.

13 hours ago, KursadA said:

Hi Ed,

I do not have a photo that shows this aircraft in its entirety. Sometimes we need to go by what we read in sources believed to be reliable. It is mentioned in several places that Rod Trimble's aircraft was decorated in this manner, and the decals are based on this information.

KursadA, thank you for the quick reply on my question. Sad to know that there is no pics on these jets available. 

Ed,

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-04-04 at 1:02 PM, Ed Rivera said:

KursadA, thank you for the quick reply on my question. Sad to know that there is no pics on these jets available. 

Ed,

Ed,

There are lots of pics of these jets. One thing to keep in mind is that Italeri (like the Hasegawa 1/48 F-104C) has molded the later style rectangular cooling scoop on the fold-down avionics door on the right hand side. I don't have the kit, but it's molded into the right hand fuselage side and not given as a separate panel like the Vulcan cannon door on the left side. In-theatre shots of these jets (at least the pictures wherein this avionics access panel is visible) show at least some of them with the earlier style NACA pointed, triangular shaped cooling scoop on the avionics door. At least with the 1/48 Hasegawa kit I can change this because I have the Cutting Edge F-104A/C update set which has a door with the NACA scoop - so a little surgery. I should make copies of this before I use it. Too bad DACO didn't include this in their comprehensive 1/48  F-104 correction set. Aircraft (some or all???) were apparently upgraded to the new style scoop at some point, but I have no information about it.

Re Debbie Sue. Accounts are that Rod Trimble didn't have the Texas flag painted on the yaw dampener until the name Debbie Sue was added. I have 4 pictures of his jet. If you want them then just PM me as it is far easier to do that than upload them to PhotoBucket. Only one shows the name on the nose but it only shows the nose of the jet.

On 15 april 2017 at 0:43 AM, Tom said:

... the earlier style NACA pointed, triangular shaped cooling scoop on the avionics door.   Too bad DACO didn't include this in their comprehensive 1/48  F-104 correction set.

Take a closer look at Sprue A (of the DACO F-104 Improvement Set) and you'll find this NACA air intake for the F-104A/C (below the MB seat cushion parts)...

Danny

7 minutes ago, DACO Products said:

Take a closer look at Sprue A (of the DACO F-104 Improvement Set) and you'll find this NACA air intake for the F-104A/C (below the MB seat cushion parts)...

Danny

I guess I should have taken another look at one of my sets. My oversight as I was looking for a complete replacement panel. Just replacing the air intake is much simpler than the whole door.