Civilian Bell 212 C-FMLT

This is a build I am doing as a commission build for one of the techs I fly around up north, from the Previous contract I worked. This particular machine I have only flown for about 80 hours/1 tour, but it was a nice 212/Steam-Chicken for sure. The company colors are from HTSC (Helicopter Transport Services Canada). The contract is to transport crews and material to keep the North Warning System operational (on the Canadian side). We have currently 4 Bell 212 HP's and one S-61N on the contract. But the provider is now CHL (Canadian Helicopters Ltd.)

C-FMLT_zpsofkyeci6.jpg

This picture is what the customer wanted to emulate, I have the intake and exhaust plugs, but most no floats or radar nose, and I am not good enough to scratchbuild it...

C-FMLT%20in%20the%20snow_zpscs0b3j1e.jpg 

(The photo is by Ted Orlowski, a friend of mine who now flies bigger and better things, although I know he wants to come back to this much more exiting job (not).

Here is what I had at the start of January:

DSCN1628_zpstbman6sl.jpg

DSCN1629_zpstwhzxw7e.jpg

ANd here is where we are today!, Cabin almost ready to be assembled!

DSCN1639_zps116nvojl.jpg

I modified the engine cowling/transmission housing/doghouse a tad, allowing for the firewalls and the drive-shaft tunnels. I have also "installed" the large Aux Fuel tank as this is the configuration we fly in, this allows us 2200lbs of Jet-A1, which we only burn 660 lbs's an hour. Considering that some of the sites are 240 nautical miles away, we need it...

Cheers

H.

Edited by Winnie
Changed pic, spacing

Ambitious project! And I see you use Eduard PE....sometimes fun and/or pain at the same time, hehe

ABout the floats, here they are fixed on the fuselage and not on the landing gear!? Hm, I am no scratchbuilding pope but I would cut plastic sheet in about the size of the floats, a bit smaller and next coverit with 2k putty like Magic sculp. In the Magic sculp surface you can work the wrinkeld structure of deflated floats, for example. You can also make Magic Sculp smooth with water, and cottontub or  brush or...

Any solution for the decals? 

for the makings i have made a cutfile for my wife's silhouette cutter, just need the company logo, and the letters on the side.

The floats hang of the gun mounts in the back (who'da thunk it, hard points on civvy aircraft!), and the hoist mounts in the front, works good. Doesn't reduce our speed any, and are relatively easy to remove or attach. We take them off when ice freezes so that we can carry more fuel or cargo.

Cheers

H.

And a last update before the tour!

Took me a few tries to get the right sorta shade of maroon, but I think I'm close.

Anyway, here are the last few!

DSCN1646_zpsspabmytq.jpg

DSCN1645_zpsbuc9vhkt.jpg

DSCN1644_zpsr5joetj4.jpg

DSCN1643_zpsjhrxlyur.jpg

DSCN1642_zpspenaki3e.jpg

Some oversprays to fix, but nothing too bad. Also gold trim, and black step areas and anti-glare on the front.

Cheers!

H.

• 1 month later...

The Italeri-kits in 48th are mojo-killers for sure! However, since this is a build for someone I have prevailed and thus have gotten this far:

A lot of tape... No decals so tape abounds everywhere...

20170403_105017_zpsktvlqe0u.jpg

For a single gold stripe...

20170403_114859_zpsw90vhnxy.jpg

The UH-1N in the background is from a group build I started in 2011... Not much luck with those...

DSCN1647_zpsc58h24yy.jpg

Company logo (almost got it) and call letters cut on my wife's Silhouette stencil cutter

DSCN1648_zps34voyye2.jpg

I hope to bring it with me to work in 9 days...