F-104G Diorama..."Corfu incident" !

Ok!...here we go. I dont know how many of you are aware of this incident. And that's going to be my next project...HA!...or rather...lol!!!

tumblr_o2q0q6_O8_Jw1r94kvzo7_1280_1.jpg20mb image hosting

The link for more Info is here...>>> http://www.916-starfighter.de/Large/dc231.htm

So...the First thing is to find a kit (as always in 1/48) to work with. I decided to use the old...veeeeery old kit from ESCI...Cheap...not very accurate...BUT, I only need "half of it" and I can scratchbult or/and can give me only "half a headache...

Just to inform  you that from discussions I had with local modellers from Corfu, I was told that at some time there was a tractor at the scene trying to save the aircraft from sinking further more into the muddy waters...Sooooo... I used the tractor from the well known Italery/ESCI kit, modified it to look more like an "agricatular" tractor more than an "Army" issue...

1.jpgimage ru

then I moved to the exhaust pipe...the "state of the art" given with the kit was replaced, using a resin replacement...an afterburner ring from the sparebox and also a jet engine "backface" from the spare box...

image.jpgfree picture hosting

...I had to scratch built the parachute open panel as well...easier than I thought...

5.jpgimage ru

and finally 48,385% of the kit to be used...

3.jpgimage ru

I 'll be back...

Yes, next you can make a underwater scene...with 51% of the Zipper in the water and fishes and divers around!

ESCI kit is good enough for that. But your nozzle inside is very "shallow"....

Thanks for such kind comments guys...lol...I will try my best to do the "worst"!!!... and yes tobic, you are absolutely right...it was noted in my facebook post and it is corrected.

I just read about the accident...wow, the pilot shot out from the mud! 1967 it must have been still the C2 seat. Also the engine was not the MTU modified one yet. Now it is a bit late for your project, but the Hasegawa kit has a very nice early J-79 nozzle. And always 2 nozzles on the sprues, some fellow modeller might have one left over....well I guees too late for your project.

But you can still make the pilot in his C2 seat coming through the water surface! ;-) dramatic...

• 1 month later...

OK...here we are...1/4 of a portion of an airplane...just to mention, that the airbrake's doors had nothing to do with the kit, so using huge quantities of filler I "closed" them and with a pencil I draw the outline...lol...it was the only way I could "save" the day...

17156059_1273605942723942_7203658402571468402_n[1].jpg