AB-212 ASW decals

I mentioned this over at the Helicopters forum - it looks like Italeri has announced a 1/48 AB-212 ASW kit to be released this year.

I have a thing for ASW helicopters in general and would definitely release a sheet for this when the kit is available. You may even see a 1/72 sheet before the 1/48 kit is released. I think there is a potential for at least 8-9 different schemes here, but I am not sure how many I will be able to fit on the sheet.

No estimated release date - Italeri's release announcements are somewhat unreliable and I don't know when the kit will be out.

Edited by KursadA

Great news indeed:thumbsup:

Skyhawk174, what Blue/White scheme are you referring to, as the schemes that come to my mind are the Grey/Red, overall Engine Grey and the latest Light Grey and of course the 3 Blue Iranian scheme?

I will definitely do the Iranian camo if I can piece together the references I need. Markings for both low-vis and high-vis schemes for all four NATO users will surely be there . I would like to include Peru and Venezuela, but the references for these two are pretty scarce.

9 hours ago, scotthldr said:

Great news indeed:thumbsup:

Skyhawk174, what Blue/White scheme are you referring to, as the schemes that come to my mind are the Grey/Red, overall Engine Grey and the latest Light Grey and of course the 3 Blue Iranian scheme?

Ok I'm an idiot I got this confused with the AB-205 from the Italian Carabinieri which had the dark blue fuselage with a white roof. It must have been the AB that threw me off.

9 hours ago, KursadA said:

I will definitely do the Iranian camo if I can piece together the references I need. Markings for both low-vis and high-vis schemes for all four NATO users will surely be there . I would like to include Peru and Venezuela, but the references for these two are pretty scarce.

Wow that Iranian scheme rocks. Love that 3 tone blue. It will go nicely along with my Iranian P-3 in that same colour scheme.

9 hours ago, Flyboyf18 said:

Thanks, I had alreeady seen this and several others that could be immediately found with Google; but I will need to gather more photos to get the design work started. I am sure a more detailed search will yield something.

Edited by KursadA
2 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Ok I'm an idiot I got this confused with the AB-205 from the Italian Carabinieri which had the dark blue fuselage with a white roof. It must have been the AB that threw me off.

No idiot, as the Carabinieri actually use the AB212 as well, just not the ASW version.

21 hours ago, JackMan said:

Spanish Navy

We, operated the 212ASW in the basic ASW configuration and also had a few EW variants, side numbers 53, 54, 55 and 56.

These were externally recognizable due to additional ESM antennas on the nose and tail boom (bumps and lumps), they retained the dipping sonar hollow but had no funnel and sonar cable winch and reel installed.

The Italian Navy search radar dome differed from the Spanish ones as being a bit wider and squatter in appearance.

The Italian Navy did not change the camo until the early nineties.

Until then, we had a grey comparable to British gloss extra dark sea grey or FS 595b 16081/16076 and International Orange (not fluorescent orange assome pictures may lead you to believe).

I am not sure about the light greys, but they were not initially referred to the FS  system, although any light grey may be close enough, however I am quite sure there were two shades of grey involved 😎.

For the record, Crabinieri used 412s and not 212s.

Only State Police, Air Farce and Army used the 212 besdes the Navy.

According to Helis.com database, AB-212ASW variant users are/were: Italy (Navy), Spain, Turkey, Greece, Iran, Peru, & Venezuela. Sorry, no Chile.  Even so, I am sure there are plenty of c/s available for Kursad to put on a 1/72 & 1/48 decal.  I do know that Tauro did the MMI (Italy) decal, and LF did Spain.  Not sure if any of the others were minted.  I have the Fujimi kit in the stash.  It comes with hi-vis (dark sea grey & red) Italian Navy markings.  So yes, I welcome this planned decal. HTH

Edited by Dutch
correct spelling