Weathered Paint or Dust/Dirt/Sand?

I'm working on a US Army AH-64D, I've got some nice photos that show this really patchy, tattered look on the paint job.  Before attempting this, I wanted to know if someone had some insight into whether or not the look is from dust, dirt, and sand (I believe the Middle East is supposed to have very fine sand, almost like powder, at least in some parts?)  or is this look the result of weathering, bleaching, paint touchups, etc.

AH-64D99-051441-158AVN1024x551_zpszmi0xa

Much appreciated

Dan

Wow...   I posted a picture of a somewhat similarly finished Blackhawk here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/296798-very-cool-blackhawk/

The consensus was that it was weathered CARC with fresh touchup.  In the case of my pic, the crew took some liberties to come up with a skull logo on the crew door.  Those Apaches are frickin' ridiculous.  I've been studying pictures of US Army helos for ages, in multiple wars and I've never seen such crazy finishes except in the recent year or so.  Wonder if they changed something in the paint chemistry?  Or maybe they just figured that letting them fade away and and then selectively repainting bits of them will actually result in a pretty effective camouflage?

Thanks for posting.