1/48 Hasegawa F-4G Wild Weasel, Clark AB Philippines, 1988

On 2/6/2017 at 10:25 PM, jester292 said:

I agree with sentiments above and also echo that I also find inspiration from you. You're a very talented builder; thanks for sharing. Anything you're willing to teach I'm willing to learn. 

Congrats on a sweet build. 

Aaron

Thanks Aaron, those are some very kind words and I am honored to know others can find inspiration and techniques from me.

On 2/7/2017 at 8:36 AM, EagleAviation said:

That is a very fine build. Particularly like the weapons 

Thanks bud! 

On 2/7/2017 at 9:10 AM, tobiK said:

Nice pinoy Phantom! 

To leave a hint here: to avoid getting a super flat coat when using the Tamiya acrylics I just add a few drops of tamiya gloss clear to the airbrush jar. Later when dry I make a fine wet sanding with micromesh 6000-8000. That removes the pebbles, overspray, dust in the coat and prepares your surface for the clear coat of Future (or similar). By doing this you will not need such a big amount of clear coat to make it shine and also better for decals to give them a real good underground.

Thanks tobiK for the kind words and tips. I will have to give that a try!

On 2/7/2017 at 11:53 AM, dsahling said:

The more I look at this the more I like it.  You did a great job depicting an in-flight situation.  The airbrushing is first rate, and the weathering is very convincing because it's subtle.  Solid work there my friend.

Thanks for the kind words friend!  Weathering is always an exercise in restraint for me, I always have to stop myself before I go to far.  I try to keep it subtle in most subjects, unless of course it is a US Navy or old Russian subject, then all restraint can be tossed in the wind!

On 2/7/2017 at 8:34 PM, a4s4eva said:

Lovely work. I really like the presentation and I reckon you've nailed the colours

Thanks Calum!  It is always a big deal for me to get a compliment from you.

On 2/7/2017 at 8:50 PM, Thunderchief105 said:

Terrific work, I really like the in flight display.

Thank you Matt!  I like doing in-flight builds.  About half of all of the 19 builds I have done so far have been in-flight.

On 2/8/2017 at 11:13 AM, lordstripe said:

Great in-flight display :thumbsup:

Thanks lordstripe! 

6 hours ago, kellyF15 said:

That is wonderful, Even better because of the squadron which was my first on Strike Eagles. "Once a Dicemen Always a Dicemen!!!!"

Thanks Diceman!  :-)

This is my second Dicemen build.  I also built an F-15E out of Elmendorf a few months ago.  I hope you got to see that one :-)

3 hours ago, BN7149 said:

Awesome build!  The sooty metal around the burners is just fantastic.  And the whole color treatment and weathering is spot-on.  I'll admit this is also my favorite scheme on the F-4.

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan!  I really wanted to accentuate the sootiness, and Tamiya Rubber Black really did the trick.  I love that stuff, I use it for pretty much all black areas on my builds now.

I also really like the Euro I scheme, it just looks so cool on Phantoms.

2 hours ago, ChernayaAkula said:

Hot damn, that's nice! :worship:  Armed to the teeth, Euro 1/Lizard, sharkmouth and in-flight -  what more to ask for? :thumbsup:

Thanks Moritz!  Yes, I checked off all the "cool" boxes on an F-4G haha.   And considering my wife is from the Philippines, it was only natural to do a Clark bird!

Phabulous Job on your Phantom my Phriend!

What thinner(s) are you using with the paints? I am switching from Tamiya Lacquer thinner to 100% Mr. Color Leveling Thinner from now on with both Mr. Color and Tamiya Acrylics. It truly is the Swiss army knife of thinners and will help get rid of the super flat outcome of the Tamiya XF20.

I also have to ask, (just for my sake) if back in 1988 the Standard Missile was the only anti-radiation missile deployed with the USAF? If so, for the historians out there, when was the HARM put into service?

Beautiful work, Michael!  Another stunning model.  Thanks for including the step by step for the exhaust area.  It looks very realistic.  I'll give it a try on the next Phantom I build.  

I look forward to seeing your next project!

Tom

On 2/10/2017 at 10:48 PM, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

And considering my wife is from the Philippines, it was only natural to do a Clark bird!

Nicely done! Reminds me of Clark AB before Mt. Pinatubo. Hope you like adobo and pansit!

eric

Interesting preshade technique, I will have to try that sometime.  I like how the patches are encased in the clear base, very integrated in design.  Some people slap the actual cloth patches on their dioramas and it doesn't look right, like it draws attention away from the model, I think.

Michael,

This is an awesome build! Thanks for the photos on your mottling/weathering of the plane, I'll have to give that a try. And the step by step instructions on how you did the exhaust is extremely helpful. I'll definitely give that a try. Looking at this masterpiece, makes me want to immediately toss aside all of my current projects, and start an F-4 build! When you applied the camouflage, did you do it freehand with an airbrush or did you use some masking? 

QT

On 2/11/2017 at 7:45 PM, Mr Matt Foley said:

Phabulous Job on your Phantom my Phriend!

What thinner(s) are you using with the paints? I am switching from Tamiya Lacquer thinner to 100% Mr. Color Leveling Thinner from now on with both Mr. Color and Tamiya Acrylics. It truly is the Swiss army knife of thinners and will help get rid of the super flat outcome of the Tamiya XF20.

I also have to ask, (just for my sake) if back in 1988 the Standard Missile was the only anti-radiation missile deployed with the USAF? If so, for the historians out there, when was the HARM put into service?

Thanks Matt!

I use Mr Leveling thinner just as you mentioned, for both Gunze Aqueous and Tamiya paints.  So that really didn't help me.  The flatness really wasn't a big deal once I evened it out with future and then final flat coat, but it is weird seeing it go down next to semi-gloss Gunze paints! LOL

On 2/12/2017 at 8:02 AM, philippe.chauvin said:

Hi,

MAGNIFIQUE ...

Merci Philippe!

On 2/12/2017 at 8:39 PM, Darren Roberts said:

NOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is the "NOICE" I was hoping to see! 

My current project is using one of your rare non-Navy items... the Blizzard F-16C mask set!

On 2/14/2017 at 9:22 PM, Tom G said:

Beautiful work, Michael!  Another stunning model.  Thanks for including the step by step for the exhaust area.  It looks very realistic.  I'll give it a try on the next Phantom I build.  

I look forward to seeing your next project!

Tom

Thanks Tom, I really appreciate the kind words.  I am looking forward to see your next Phantom.  If you have any questions on anything I did on mine, just let me know!

On 2/14/2017 at 9:38 PM, speedlimit said:

Nicely done! Reminds me of Clark AB before Mt. Pinatubo. Hope you like adobo and pansit!

eric

Thanks Eric!

Haha, yep, Adobo and Pansit.  And Filipino Sweet Spaghetti and Lumpia!

On 2/15/2017 at 8:02 PM, Jessirelli said:

Interesting preshade technique, I will have to try that sometime.  I like how the patches are encased in the clear base, very integrated in design.  Some people slap the actual cloth patches on their dioramas and it doesn't look right, like it draws attention away from the model, I think.

Thanks Jessirelli!

The clear case is actually a Baseball Card holder, and the display inside is made in Adobe Illustrator to the size of a standard Baseball Card.

On 2/16/2017 at 7:55 AM, marvin20 said:

Michael,

This is an awesome build! Thanks for the photos on your mottling/weathering of the plane, I'll have to give that a try. And the step by step instructions on how you did the exhaust is extremely helpful. I'll definitely give that a try. Looking at this masterpiece, makes me want to immediately toss aside all of my current projects, and start an F-4 build! When you applied the camouflage, did you do it freehand with an airbrush or did you use some masking? 

QT

Thanks Queito!

I have really become a fan of the "blackbasing" technique that I used in this build, I have used it on all builds going back to my Hasegawa F-14A being the first time using it.  Which F-4 you wanna do?

I free handed the camo.  In fact, my current project is the first time for using a camo mask (Blizzard F-16C), mostly because it is so complicated and the edges are all hard.

You going to Blizzcon this Saturday?

Just now, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

Thanks Matt!

I use Mr Leveling thinner just as you mentioned, for both Gunze Aqueous and Tamiya paints.  So that really didn't help me.  The flatness really wasn't a big deal once I evened it out with future and then final flat coat, but it is weird seeing it go down next to semi-gloss Gunze paints! LOL

Merci Philippe!

There is the "NOICE" I was hoping to see! 

My current project is using one of your rare non-Navy items... the Blizzard F-16C mask set!

Thanks Tom, I really appreciate the kind words.  I am looking forward to see your next Phantom.  If you have any questions on anything I did on mine, just let me know!

Thanks Eric!

Haha, yep, Adobo and Pansit.  And Filipino Sweet Spaghetti and Lumpia!

Thanks Jessirelli!

The clear case is actually a Baseball Card holder, and the display inside is made in Adobe Illustrator to the size of a standard Baseball Card.

Thanks Queito!

I have really become a fan of the "blackbasing" technique that I used in this build, I have used it on all builds going back to my Hasegawa F-14A being the first time using it.  Which F-4 you wanna do?

I free handed the camo.  In fact, my current project is the first time for using a camo mask (Blizzard F-16C), mostly because it is so complicated and the edges are all hard.

You going to Blizzcon this Saturday?

Yes, I plan on going to Blizzcon. Are you going down? I want to do the 1/48 Academy F-4 B/C/J Any of them will do! :-)

On 2/12/2017 at 3:55 PM, crackerjazz said:

Oh got another question -- Where do you get your wire, how did you bend it and how is attached to the base and the model?

The wire is aluminum armature wire.  The stuff I use is actually called Oasis Megawire.  You can find it online and it is quite reasonable in price.  It comes in different colors too.  It is strong enough to hold up most 1/48 models, and bendable so you can change the position when you want.  The only downside is it is hard to get a nice smooth curve with it since it is so pliable.  I bend it by hand.  As for the base, it is just a gloss black plaque blank (6x8"), and I drill a hold in it.  The back has a recessed section for hanging it up on a wall, so I put the wire in my drilled hole, then bend it to one side against the wood, and put some blue tack in there to keep it in place.

If anyone is interested, I can do a picture tutorial of how I make these displays...

8 minutes ago, marvin20 said:

Yes, I plan on going to Blizzcon. Are you going down? I want to do the 1/48 Academy F-4 B/C/J Any of them will do! :-)

Sweet, I am going too.  Not entering anything, just to look and buy.  LOL

PM me your number, maybe we can meet up down there.  I figure I will be there around noonish.

31 minutes ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

...If anyone is interested, I can do a picture tutorial of how I make these displays...

Very cool!  Please do, including how it attaches to the bottom of the model :rolleyes:    Is it ok here?  Or maybe in the Tools n Tips section?     And do you think it will be strong enough to support a Tomcat without bobbing?

Very Nice F-4G Weasel, I'm curious since you used an AM decal sheet do you still have the original kit decals for the SEA camo scheme? and would you be willing to part with them? if so PM me and we can work out the details.

On 2/4/2017 at 6:19 PM, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

313436-16625-12.jpg

This is a great build.  Nice recovery, it sounds like the kit you started with was a bit of a mess.

Is it just me or does this picture almost look like an 80s revell box? I love this angle. 

On 2/17/2017 at 3:20 PM, crackerjazz said:

Very cool!  Please do, including how it attaches to the bottom of the model :rolleyes:    Is it ok here?  Or maybe in the Tools n Tips section?     And do you think it will be strong enough to support a Tomcat without bobbing?

I think I will put together a step by step pictorial on how I do it.  It is actually pretty easy and the materials I use are really not very expensive.  I will post it in tools & Tips.

As for strength... I have done 5 rather large aircraft this way.  A MiniHobby Su-37, Academy Su-27, Italeri F-14, Revell A-6E, and the Hasegawa F-4G, all 1/48,  The Tomcat and Flankers do bob a bit when moved, but so far have held up (the Su-37 for over a year now) just fine.  But this might not be the best way to do it if you move your models around a lot.  I have been contemplating using a bit thicker wire (1/4" instead of 3/16") for the heavier (larger) models.  That should eliminate the bobbing.  For smaller aircraft, such as the Hasegawa F-16, Monogram AV-8B and OA-4M, they are very secure with 3/16".

On 2/17/2017 at 5:50 PM, Mr Matt Foley said:

Yes! Please do!

I promise I will!

On 2/18/2017 at 9:14 AM, AlienFrogModeller said:

Love the finishing work!

Thanks bud, I appreciate that!!!

On 2/18/2017 at 6:19 PM, jfmajor60 said:

Very Nice F-4G Weasel, I'm curious since you used an AM decal sheet do you still have the original kit decals for the SEA camo scheme? and would you be willing to part with them? if so PM me and we can work out the details.

Well, with that kit, it having been started already wasn't the only drawback of the kit... the decals were missing.  However, I do have another (newer boxing) Hasegawa F-4G in the stash, and will most likely not be using the kit decals for that one either.  If you are interested you can have those.  I am not sure if that one has a SEA scheme on it though.  Think it might just be Euro I and Gray.  But I can check...

On 2/18/2017 at 11:40 PM, Karl Sander said:

What d'ya know? Wild Weasels? I had no idea the 90th used to be cool!

Really nicely done!

Yep, they flew F-4Es and Gs at the same time while at Clark.  But as I understand it, they had more Es than Gs.  Pretty cool!

On 2/19/2017 at 4:53 AM, ForestFan said:

Love it!!

Thanks Forest!

On 2/19/2017 at 5:03 AM, Kurt H. said:

This is a great build.  Nice recovery, it sounds like the kit you started with was a bit of a mess.

Is it just me or does this picture almost look like an 80s revell box? I love this angle. 

Thanks Kurt!  It was actually kinda a mess.  I really contemplated not even using it, and instead using the other Hasegawa F-4G kit I have which is newer and sealed.  But I am glad I tackled the challenge!

BTW, I like that angle too!

On 2/19/2017 at 3:13 PM, CaptainObvious said:

Another nice one sir.
You crank them out in about the same time I take to think about starting a project.

Thanks Cap!

I do like to knockout my projects.  I try to keep them to 3-4 weeks per.  I am actually almost done with my current project, a 1/48 Tamiya F-16C in the Blizzard Scheme.  :-)

14 hours ago, Crazy Snap Captain said:

Fantastic job mate. Love it! 

Thanks CSC, I am always happy to see your feedback!

That is a kickin' Phantom.     Real hard to pull off a realistic looking Euro 1 scheme but you nailed it.   Always liked PN birds.   Gonna build one of their Pave Nail F-4E's one of these days.   

Edited by 11bee