I have a 1/72 B-47 WIP that I initially started over on Z5, and moved it over here to ARC.  Ive been scratchbuilding the weapons bay and I have a small hang up. I'm dropping in a huge Mk 41 into it.  I have no references or information stating on how it is secured in the bay.  Pylons and sway braces make sense. Great sense since I won't have to build it due to the bay ceiling being blocked out by the bomb.  

Ive heard that large arms would be wrapped around it, which would open up when it was time to drop it out of the bay.  It would reasonably be one last safety measure for the aircrew to go back and arm the weapon.  Any truth to this?

Any help with photos would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Chris

swimmer25k@hotmail.com

The B-47 was originally equipped with THE U-2 pneumatically operated suspension system based on the RAF Lancaster's method of carrying the "Grand Slam" bomb.  It could only carry a single weapon and the bomb was secured with a device resembling a large bicycle chain. This was eventually replaced by the "clip-in" system that could carry one of the larger weapons (Mk-15/39/41) or a couple of the smaller B28s.  Go to this website for more detailed info on the two systems.  LINK 

Here's a Mk-41 mounted on a "clip". 

Nuke%20Mk-411_zps8pzdspii.png

Some of the larger bombs, like the B53 did have "arms" that cradled the bomb; they were attached to the clip and were thin, rectangular, curved pieces of metal that wrapped around the bomb's main body.  In the documentary Trinity and Beyond  LINK  there's footage of the interior of a B-52 bomb bay in it that shows the arms swinging as as the weapon is dropped.  There's also pictures on teh interwebbzz of a B53 at a museum mounted on a clip with the arms fitted.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
  • 3 weeks later...