Tamiya 1/24 Porsche 956 "Rothmans" '82 Le Mans 24h

Been building this on/off for a couple of years already. As a matter of fact I started it after I had finished my last rally car, Subaru Legacy. 

I've been a fan of group C (endurance racing with sport car prototypes) Porsches since my childhood. I remember reading about them from our local motorsport magazine "Vauhdin Maailma" (The World of Speed), subscribed by my father for decades. The Rothmans factory livery was the first choice for me for this car. It wasn't very hard to pick up the driver combination from the decal sheet either. It had to be Ickx/Bell car, probably the two most renowned Porsche drivers of the era. 

Some extra details were added for the engine bay. Various hoses, pipes and cables were naturally part of the deal. One very visible thing missing were the air ducts (and their respective supports) just in from the uprights. Some pipework still ahead and details like ignition coils etc., so the engine area is still unfinished.

temporary_21.jpg

temporary_20.jpg

The instrument panel and the head lights. For the lights I decided to carve out reflectors of proper shape. Originally thy were just flat surfaces behind the glass. Easily done with a mini drill and a suitable abrasive head. A piece of shiny aluminum tape was then used as the reflective material.

temporary_22.jpg

The blue part of the livery was painted today. Some over spray here and there, but they will be covered by decal stripes.

temporary_23.jpg

9 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Looking good. Two calipers per wheel! I was reading Car and Driver and Road & Track back then and I don't recall that detail in any photos or drawings.  

Thank you!

The 956 certainly had twin calibers inside all four wheels. It was a fast car so I guess it also had to stop fast. :) 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...