Snoopy verses the Red Baron - My Daughter's Third Build

We had a short window on Friday to get a little more done. This was basically painting the rest of the airframe red so that it had time to dry, and allow me to spray a clear coat so the next session tomorrow could be decalling. The tail, rudder, bottom of the fuselage where the wing joins and the wing struts all needed painting. The second picture shows it done, along side a Revell Fokker EIII of mine for an unrelated project.

fokker_dr1_043.jpg

fokker_dr1_044.jpg

Since the Dr.I will be flying, and chasing Snoopy, the engine needed to be running and so the prop turning. I don't like clear plastic discs for props, and I'm not a fan at all of the etched brass blurred blades, so decided to try something new. One of the things I don't like about clear discs is the lack of thickness, so for my experiment, I cut a lump of 3mm clear acrylic, which was then cut down to a bow tie shape.

fokker_dr1_045.jpg

This was tapered towards the tips and tapered to the leading and trailing edges.

fokker_dr1_046.jpg

After a fine wet sand, it was polished with 'T-Cut' car paint colour restorer, and then dipped in Future, dried and dipped again, then left to dry.

fokker_dr1_047.jpg

I then sprayed wood brown along the prop, more heavily along the leading edges and at the root. Once dry, I then scraped through the paint in a radial pattern with a sharp scalpel. It just needs a washer adding for the washer on the hub. It's not a perfect solution to moving props, but as a first experiment, I'm quite pleased with it, and with some more practice and refining, it could work well. For the Triplane, it is fine and my daughter thinks it's great.

fokker_dr1_048.jpg

More sanding of Snoopy. We both took turns at sanding. It's a big job, and is her first real experience of scratch building. His head will need detaching for easier shaping of the head and body, but were cut as one to see the proportions looked right. Tail, arms, scarf and goggles will probably be made from Milliput.

fokker_dr1_057.jpg

fokker_dr1_058.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • 3 weeks later...

School Easter holidays this week, and my daughter and I had some free time, so did some more of her Snoopy verses the Red Baron today. She attached the engine and cowl, then I jigged up the rather fiddly landing gear for her to glue.

fokker_dr1_061.jpg

fokker_dr1_062.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The wheels still need their centres painting, but we were in a rush for a photo shoot with two customer models, one of which was due to be shipped, so we made do with a mostly finished Triplane to get the Fokker Dri, Fokker DVII and Fokker EIII line up.

fokker_dr1_071.jpg

fokker_dr1_074.jpg

1/16 ply is to be used for the cladding. I cut a number of straight and tapered strips with a scalpel, as it took more strength than my daughter could have managed. The side pieces are tapered because the kennel has been made with false perspective. My daughter sanded the edges into a slight radius to allow the plank edges to show more clearly once assembled.

fokker_dr1_079.jpg

After the front faces of the ply was also sanded, I mixed up a wash of white enamel for her to paint them with.

fokker_dr1_080.jpg

The basic kennel structure and the white washed planks.

fokker_dr1_081.jpg

The last job of today was to mix up some Milliput epoxy putty, and form the start of Snoopy's flying helmet and goggles. His helmet was first, and once that is cured and sanded, we'll do the same and sculpt his goggles.

fokker_dr1_082.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

After a break for a couple of weeks, we got back to Snoopy after school today. The whitewashed planks prepared last time were glued on today, starting with the ends. The end of the kennel was painted in PVA glue, and each plank in turn stuck on. After both ends were done, they were lightly clamped and placed over a heater to force dry the glue quicker.

fokker_dr1_083.jpg

fokker_dr1_084.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Once sufficiently dry, I sanded the excess length of planks, flush with the side of the kennel. This allowed the side planks to be attached next.

fokker_dr1_085.jpg

While my daughter was doing that, I drilled a small hole in the end of Snoopy's head for a tiny screw. This formed a support for the Milliput nose to be formed around. That was left to cure and will be sanded to the final shape later.

fokker_dr1_086.jpg