Snoopy verses the Red Baron - My Daughter's Third Build

• 3 weeks later...

A little more progress made on Snoopy and the kennel over the weekend. I made some wire frames covered in Milliput yesterday for Snoopy's arms and tail. They were shaped and attached today. My daughter got the roofing planks glued onto the kennel so they'll be dry for tomorrow.

fokker_dr1_089.jpg

fokker_dr1_090.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today we continued painting, starting with Snoopy's green flying helmet. This had two coats of Humbrol acrylic. I painted the edge where the green meets the white and left the rest to my daughter. She wasn't sure she could do the edges without going over onto the white.

fokker_dr1_099.jpg

fokker_dr1_100.jpg

Once the green was dry, we moved onto the red scarf, getting one coat painted. As before, I painted the edges near the white and under Snoopy's chin. This was a challenge for me, as there wasn't much space to get the brush in under his chin and avoidiing the arms. He's really coming to life now, and after his scarf is done, it's just his nose, black spots and his goggles, then we're ready to put him together with the kennel, Fokker Triplane and backscene in the picture frame!

fokker_dr1_101.jpg

fokker_dr1_102.jpg

The last step was to paint the glazing on his goggles. The picture we were working from had the glazing black, but we figured that silver would look better. Out in the sun, it was reflecting nicely!

fokker_dr1_105.jpg

The last job that needs doing is painting the inside of Snoopy's kennel black, and adding some bullet holes as seen in the cartoon. Once that is done, we'll be ready to do the final assembly of the models in the picture frame.

fokker_dr1_106.jpg

Almost there with Snoopy verses the Red Baron! The inside of his kennel was painted black in case it could be seen through the doorway.

fokker_dr1_107.jpg

Snoopy's bum was drilled for some M3 threaded rod, and after it was glued in, the kennel roof was drilled and Snoopy was bolted on top. The nut on the inside was then coated in epoxy to keep it secured. The bullet holes were made by first drilling a small hole, and then splintering around the edge of the hole with a scalpel blade.

fokker_dr1_108.jpg

Here's a close up of the bullet holes. I'm very pleased with the way they turned out.

fokker_dr1_109.jpg

Two pieces of M3 threaded rod were bolted through the back of the kennel to mount it to the background picture.

fokker_dr1_110.jpg

The bottom of the Triplane was drilled to open up a larger hole, and this was filled with "Chemical Metal" two part filler. Once cured, it was drilled for another piece of M3 rod to mount the aircraft. The last job of the morning was to glue the background picture to the 2mm MDF back board of the 3D frame. Everything is now ready for the final assembly, which may be on Thursday.

fokker_dr1_111.jpg

Today was the big day! Final assembly.

The background picture that was glued to the MDF the other day was drilled for the kennel and Triplane mounting bolts.

fokker_dr1_112.jpg

After that, I taped it in place, and drilled 1.2mm holes for the panel pins that attach the back into the frame. This is because the frame wood is only about 3/16 inch thick, and without pre-drilling, the nails would follow the grain and split the wood. So with the holes drilled, my daughter slowly nailed the panel pins home, and the tape was removed.

fokker_dr1_113.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

The mounting bolt length was calculated and cut to length, and it was then painted white and yellow to blend with the background picture. It was glued into the Triplane with cyano and a white nut used to space the model from the backscene.

fokker_dr1_116.jpg

The kennel and the Triplane mounted. We were getting excited now, the end was in sight!

fokker_dr1_117.jpg

Before screwing the front frame and glass in, we got some pictures so we didn't have to deal with the reflections from the glass. One very happy and proud modeller, and so she should be; it's turned out great!!

fokker_dr1_120.jpg

A close up prior to fitting the glass.

fokker_dr1_121.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...