Army_Air_Force

Snoopy verses the Red Baron - My Daughter's Third Build

40 posts in this topic

We had a short window on Friday to get a little more done. This was basically painting the rest of the airframe red so that it had time to dry, and allow me to spray a clear coat so the next session tomorrow could be decalling. The tail, rudder, bottom of the fuselage where the wing joins and the wing struts all needed painting. The second picture shows it done, along side a Revell Fokker EIII of mine for an unrelated project.

fokker_dr1_043.jpg

fokker_dr1_044.jpg

Since the Dr.I will be flying, and chasing Snoopy, the engine needed to be running and so the prop turning. I don't like clear plastic discs for props, and I'm not a fan at all of the etched brass blurred blades, so decided to try something new. One of the things I don't like about clear discs is the lack of thickness, so for my experiment, I cut a lump of 3mm clear acrylic, which was then cut down to a bow tie shape.

fokker_dr1_045.jpg

This was tapered towards the tips and tapered to the leading and trailing edges.

fokker_dr1_046.jpg

After a fine wet sand, it was polished with 'T-Cut' car paint colour restorer, and then dipped in Future, dried and dipped again, then left to dry.

fokker_dr1_047.jpg

I then sprayed wood brown along the prop, more heavily along the leading edges and at the root. Once dry, I then scraped through the paint in a radial pattern with a sharp scalpel. It just needs a washer adding for the washer on the hub. It's not a perfect solution to moving props, but as a first experiment, I'm quite pleased with it, and with some more practice and refining, it could work well. For the Triplane, it is fine and my daughter thinks it's great.

fokker_dr1_048.jpg

Spraying the gloss clear coat ready for the decals.

fokker_dr1_049.jpg

Another view of the prop, push fitted onto the engine/cowling which is yet to be attached.

fokker_dr1_050.jpg

Further progress by my daughter on her diorama/picture. We got most of the decalling done after school today. I held the model still while she applied the decal and aligned it, particularly for those on the side of the fuselage.

fokker_dr1_051.jpg

fokker_dr1_052.jpg

While each decal was left to dry a little while, we made a start on Snoopy. I drew him out on modelboard and cut the outline on the bandsaw, then left my daughter to start sanding down to the outline.

fokker_dr1_053.jpg

fokker_dr1_054.jpg

Back to the decalling, top side now.

fokker_dr1_055.jpg

Next came the starboard side; and that is as far as the decalling got, as it was almost time to eat. I wanted that side to fully dry and harden before turning the model over.

fokker_dr1_056.jpg

Posted (edited)

More sanding of Snoopy. We both took turns at sanding. It's a big job, and is her first real experience of scratch building. His head will need detaching for easier shaping of the head and body, but were cut as one to see the proportions looked right. Tail, arms, scarf and goggles will probably be made from Milliput.

fokker_dr1_057.jpg

fokker_dr1_058.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

This is how things looked by the end of the session.

fokker_dr1_059.jpg

fokker_dr1_060.jpg

School Easter holidays this week, and my daughter and I had some free time, so did some more of her Snoopy verses the Red Baron today. She attached the engine and cowl, then I jigged up the rather fiddly landing gear for her to glue.

fokker_dr1_061.jpg

fokker_dr1_062.jpg

While that was drying, we cut Snoopy's head off to allow shaping of the head and body to be easier. I worked on his body and legs which required some use of the bandsaw, while she started sanding his head and nose round.

fokker_dr1_063.jpg

fokker_dr1_064.jpg

We only had an hour spare before we had a trip out, but managed to push the project on and see progress. The Triplane now only needs the wheels and prop adding, and Snoopy is taking shape nicely.

fokker_dr1_065.jpg

fokker_dr1_066.jpg

This is brilliant! Keep going guys!!! 

Thanks. Sometimes we all get bogged down in details, so it's great to just have a little fun with it.

The way you did the prop is awesome, I'm going to have to steal that for one of my build. :-)