Zouki Mura 1/48 F-4J Phantom VF-84

Hi,

Just completed the brand new Zouki Mura. F-4J Phantom.   The new kit is fantastic and easily the best 1/48 kit produced.  While I did intend to do this as a build thread,   I did not have the time to build, photograph, and post with all that is going on, so this will be the quickie version showing the cockpit,  seats and some construction pictures.   

First the kit contains detail on par with the 1/32 scale offerings.  What is nice is that ZM made the assembly as such to get the detail built and installed hiding seams and allowing for a clean installation.   This is evident in the:

• cockpit sill as it attach to the fuselage halves and offer a full sill for the canopies
  • The top fuselage seam is hidden under 2 panels, the top panel and the canopy rear faring
  • the wing attachment to the fuselage at panel lines int he forward and rear fuselage
  • and the wing leading edge flap made separately and as one piece.

The kit has full intakes and engines, and the details of the landing gear, wheels, tires , stores and other components are very nicely done.   The instruction booklet is a true booklet with very detailed instructions and notes to assist the builder in the assembly process.   I had just under 100 hours into the build over 2 1/2 months.   The pictures were taken both with and without a flash and are mixed.

I used Furball's decal set along with the kit decals, Eduard Brassin Seats ( I used f-4B seats that fit perfectly), and Master Metal pitot and AOA probes.

IMG_4450_zpsayio3qe6.jpg

IMG_4459_zpsslg0fhbr.jpg

IMG_4464_zpsbn5bclqm.jpg

IMG_4463_zpspf0hxlbp.jpg

IMG_4453_zpst6olrdeg.jpg

IMG_4452_zpsvpcwvtoa.jpg

IMG_4479_zpslq7ceddi.jpg

Edited by ghatherly

Currently reading "Roger Ball" and want to build another Navy Phantom.....Looks like a great kit! You did a really great job on it and the weathering looks like a hard used carrier Phantom.

Great Job!!! The book is awesome by the way if anybody is looking for something to read!

I want to thanks everyone for their kind words, the kit is the best out there, and taking into account the excellent Academy kit that speaks volumes.   Looking forward to the "S" and the USAF versions in 1/48 and down the road in 1/32.   From what I gather the 1/32 offering will be as close to building a real Phanton as can be had in a model.

I do want to put a plug in for Furball decals.  The set fit perfectly even though sized for the Academy kit, the fit is near perfect.    Both Academy and ZM got the big things correct as far as I can tell, as the testing I did with decals from the rest of the Furball set fit the fin, canopy, and other areas as well as I would expect if they were sized for the ZM.   Great job Furball!!!!!!!

• 9 months later...