What is this thread supposed to be about, exactly? To post a random picture? There is research corner for that; http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/forum/113-research-corner/

It is carrying LASRE stand; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Aerospike_SR-71_Experiment

Edited by Berkut

It's a digital render (or illustration) traced over a real photo, and spread by a bunch of clickbaity image sites.  It's particularly obvious when you compare the two photos side by side (should be the first two thumbnails here).  Actually, googling SR-71 photos, there seem to be a few of them. 

The original:

1*rl-RVdEMGt-0M7Uduxv1mg.jpeg

The pod is just the standard LASRE though, as Berkut said.

sr71-blackbird-inflight-1004-1a.jpg

Edited by MoFo
7 hours ago, Berkut said:

What is this thread supposed to be about, exactly? To post a random picture? There is research corner for that; http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/forum/113-research-corner/

It is carrying LASRE stand; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Aerospike_SR-71_Experiment

No Berkut I wanted to know what was on the Sr-71. Sorry I bothered you.

1 hour ago, F4DPhantomII said:

I wanted to know what was on the Sr-71. Sorry I bothered you.

Decent overview here: https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/120298main_FS-043-DFRC.pdf

But basically, it was an experimental pod that could mount a functional model of the X-33 - which would be mounted on the platform - so they could test engine aerodynamics at altitude.  

(interesting to see the wingtips folded.  Guess that's for carrier operations  :) )

lasre-pod-matting-sr71.jpg

EC96-43419-19.jpg

EC97-44205-38.jpg

Linear-Aerospike-SR-71-Experiment-LASRE.

Interesting! Now i understand that this type of engine is tested on the Blackbird. I thought that it was for space-craft purposes only and was tested only on a stand like the shuttle`s main engines. Awesome photos btw! Yeah, :) the wingtips can fold to save space in the hangar of a carrier... :))) so 2-3 Blackbirds could fit in...

14 hours ago, F4DPhantomII said:

Some people get so touchy in their response. Why bother if you can't be civil?

My point was simply that we have forum subsections for a reason. People dont post propeller stuff (unless by a finger slip) in Jet Modeling for example. Or helicopters. I think people posting threads in correct subforums is a pretty bare minimal requirement. I never meant anything personal with it, just pointing out there are more correct subforums for that kind of thing, that is all.

1 hour ago, Berkut said:

My point was simply that we have forum subsections for a reason. People dont post propeller stuff (unless by a finger slip) in Jet Modeling for example. Or helicopters. I think people posting threads in correct subforums is a pretty bare minimal requirement. I never meant anything personal with it, just pointing out there are more correct subforums for that kind of thing, that is all.

It was a jet why is it in the wrong forum?

Research corner;

The Research Corner is the new forum to share photos of 1/1 aircraft and spacecraft, as well as being the new central repository for research info and technical information on aircraft.

Jet modeling;

This is the dedicated Jet modeling forum

Sure i am being picky, but what would the point of sections and rules (not that there is any on ARC, literally) be if they are not followed? Why cant anyone post anything wherever they want?

Edited by Berkut

There is a polite way to ask a post to be moved, and then there is not. Further passive/aggressive banter isn't required or helpful.

It's an easy enough thing to happen. Not everyone sees the forums in the same way as others do.

I'll move the post to the "Research" forum, as that is more of an appropriate place to have it. 

Al P

ARC Moderation Team

Edited by Alvis 3.1

thanks for the move, Alvis 3.1 that kind of move should be done more often. 

sometime it can be annoying not to find the proper thing at the proper place... and seeing that happening more than often can be irritating for a more structured and rigorous mind.

(sometime, i also have a hard time to cope with the fact there's  50% "functional illiterate"  people in the western world t ...which mean they can make the sound they are reading...but hardly understand the meaning of a single sentence when reading! )

forums titles are like book's Index. why bother create them, if it's not to find in, what they are made for? if you can find words beginning with the letter "A"  anywhere randomly in the dictionary, you wouldn't use it.

rules are not just obstacles in one's liberty... they are also the foundation of civilization...  

Edited by mingwin