First Build Suggestions

Hello, I am looking for some suggestions for my first build.  I have worked on most of the USAF AMC aircraft inventory as an electrician, I eventually want to build all of the aircraft i have worked on, C-5, C-17, C-130, KC-135 etal.  I know these models are more expensive and I think it would be a good idea to try something to brush up on skills a bit before I move on to these (I have built some model cars when younger so i have some experience).  Also, any tips on supplies i would need would be appreciated.  I am currently browsing the forum for answers but any help is appreciated, thanks in advance and glad to be here.

Welcome aboard!

All of the kits you mentioned are available in 1/144 scale (1" = 12').The C5 fetches a good price on ebay when it shows up. The C-130 is also available in 1/48 and 1/72, while the KC-135 is also available in 1/72.

As you have some experience, the Minicraft 1/144 KC-135 might be a good kit to start, but I haven't built it and somebody else may be able to provide authoritative advice. You could look for aftermarket (AM) decals for these kits, such these from Caracal Models and from Draw Decal that might match your experience.

Once you've built some kits out-of-the-box (OOB), AM resin bits are also available for several of the above, such as these C-130 bits from Arma Hobby. AM decals are usually easy to use, photo-etch (PE) is usually more difficult, and resin can be harder still.

Remember: We're having fun. Don't sweat the small stuff. Mistakes teach you what not to do next time. :)