It depends, but as a general rule, most helicopters are flown PIC from the right seat. The civilian version of the Hughes 500 and Bell 47 are usually flown from the left seat. AS350 and Hueys are often flown left-seat during vertical reference work.

LD.

• 2 months later...

I saw a 600Notar the other day that was PIC from left seat, and strangely a Bell 47 too, that was left seat.  I can confirm the 500E is from the left seat as well. 

But, most everything else I've seen or rode in is right seat PIC (206, 407, huey, R44, R22).

Interestingly though, take a look at some helo's that have firefighting bubble windows.  Last Firehawk I saw at Anniston AL had a bubble window on the left side.  I dunno if it is a helo lifting/fire fighting thing, or what.

In Vietnam,most slick PICs flew from the left seat as it gave them better visibility however, in gunships the PIC virtually always flew on the right since the gunner's sight was mounted overhead on the left and the rocket sight was mounted overhead on the right.  The PIC fired the rockets since they went where the aircraft was pointed and he was usually doing the pointing.

Ray

On 2/11/2017 at 3:41 PM, Loach Driver said:

It depends, but as a general rule, most helicopters are flown PIC from the right seat. The civilian version of the Hughes 500 and Bell 47 are usually flown from the left seat. AS350 and Hueys are often flown left-seat during vertical reference work.

LD.

AS350 is left seat only if bench seat is installed. there is a floor window on the right for Vertical Reference work.

Bell mediums (204/205/212/412/214B) all do VR from the left and normal flight from the right. (I fly Bell 212's)