2 hours ago, ChippyWho said:

Jeebers, that looks like the kind of modelling where you need a gum-shield... I wonder if the ill-regarded Academy kit is that much worse?!

I've built the Academy kit once with the Aires pit...as a kit it's alright. 

No worries I'll get this to work....I've had worse.

2 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Those intakes/engine covers are a major pain. I think they are the weakest point in an otherwise outstanding kit. I sanded, trimmed and dry fit them the best within my meager abilities.

Indeed, I like the kit despite the nacelles....a bit of force, putty and patience :D

20 hours ago, Aigore said:

I've built the Academy kit once with the Aires pit...as a kit it's alright. 

No worries I'll get this to work....I've had worse.

I have no lack of confidence in your abilities, Sir -just hoped for better 'togetherness' in a modern tooling! :dontknow:

14 hours ago, ChippyWho said:

I have no lack of confidence in your abilities, Sir -just hoped for better 'togetherness' in a modern tooling! :dontknow:

LoL

Well I think they got things right with their Eagles from what I've heard :D

Janne,

As my "return to ARC" treat, I went looking for your latest build. After reading through it, it has all the tell tail signs of one of your builds, excellent problem solving, and that certain mannerism which you write in, that I really do like.

Hopefully you remember that I'm more of a prop guy then a jet guy, and my cut off of jet interest is the early to mid 70's. So I'm once again following your build from the stand point of a modeler. And what I've seen so far is rather convincing. The ejection seat really looks the part, as does the OOB cockpit. Excellent job with the IP as getting all the rather small gauges on and properly lined up. Both intakes took some work to properly align and glue them in place, and I did feel right at home with your Green Stuff putty method of taping both sides of the offending joint. The end result does indeed look great.

As for black priming, it works extremely well for confined areas like cockpits and wheel wells, but I've had my issues with it for an overall primer when it comes to light colors, so I often opt for the plain old Gray Primer. Black basing as I learned it was a black primer with random blotches of a lighter color or colors to create a random worn effect on the top colors. For what it's worth, I've also been experimenting with what I call White Basing for lighter colors.

Joel

Well, I´ve been sanding :P

IMG_3207_zpsu2nyki5z.jpg

IMG_3208_zpsxdkwllqv.jpg

Added some sanded off details..and rescribed

IMG_3209_zpsremrz4pm.jpg

With primer on it doesn´t look half bad, there are some smal pits in there I need to fill and that panleline seam is a bit rich.

IMG_3210_zpsrapafq2r.jpg

IMG_3211_zpslrp0tt8h.jpg

Cheers!

Janne,

What do you mean "not half bad". Your sanding and polishing resulted in a perfect surface for the primer test coat. Nicely done if you ask me.  Any time you feel like flying over for a visit, I'll have plenty of 1/32 scale kits ready for sanding for you to enjoy. :taunt:

Joel

3 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

What do you mean "not half bad". Your sanding and polishing resulted in a perfect surface for the primer test coat. Nicely done if you ask me.  Any time you feel like flying over for a visit, I'll have plenty of 1/32 scale kits ready for sanding for you to enjoy. :taunt:

Joel

I bet you have, oh the joy  : P

2 hours ago, The Scaremonger said:

:woot.gif: Not even a bit of resin aftermarket set to go with your build, Janne? Something must be awfully bad with the world these days! :tease:

LOL

I know....the end is near :P Start scanning the sky for that asteroid....or pigs :P

The build is moving along...

I fixed some cosmetic stuff  before I glued the fuselage halfs together. I really like my clamps :P

IMG_3212_zps3fib3p1m.jpg

Yet they cause me some more cosmetic stuff to deal with :P TAmyia glue had seaped under the clamps teeth and left marks in the plastic.

IMG_3213_zps5ad2e6qm.jpg

Other than that it´s looknig good.

IMG_3214_zpshtpfvurc.jpg

Might as well put the fins in place :D
IMG_3215_zpskni34gnh.jpg

Looking Mig-ish, don´t you think?
IMG_3216_zpsmjkbrkx6.jpg

Cheers!

Janne,

I've had that issue of the clamps & glue causing more work then the time they saved from the old tape method, which is my once again preferred method. These days I only use clamps when I need some additional pressure to keep not well fitting joints snugged up till the Extra Thin does it thing.

Joel

Nice work Janne... my friend assembling same kit and said that fit is not so good... I am working on zvezda 9-13 in 1/72 and it going very well 😀

I think that clamps put too much tension in some operation of assembling... so i use them only on straight parts. I rather like to play with order of gluing then use clamps. 

On 2/26/2017 at 5:19 AM, Aigore said:

Well, I´ve been sanding :P

IMG_3207_zpsu2nyki5z.jpg

IMG_3208_zpsxdkwllqv.jpg

Added some sanded off details..and rescribed

IMG_3209_zpsremrz4pm.jpg

With primer on it doesn´t look half bad, there are some smal pits in there I need to fill and that panleline seam is a bit rich.

IMG_3210_zpsrapafq2r.jpg

IMG_3211_zpslrp0tt8h.jpg

Cheers!

Nice job. You cleaned the nacelles up very well.

3 hours ago, Aigore said:

LOL

I know....the end is near :P Start scanning the sky for that asteroid....or pigs :P

You know, there is not much need for resin on this series of kits. My SMT was my first GWH kit, it is impressive with the amount of detail included and I hope to build the 9-13 sometime soon. As for my Mig, I spent over 6 hours decaling and finished today. Now on to the tiny bits and readying for a club contest on Saturday.

11 hours ago, mario krijan said:

Nice work Janne... my friend assembling same kit and said that fit is not so good... I am working on zvezda 9-13 in 1/72 and it going very well 😀

I think that clamps put too much tension in some operation of assembling... so i use them only on straight parts. I rather like to play with order of gluing then use clamps. 

Thanx Mario :D

Yeah I try to be careful with the clamps as not force bits out of alignment :P

10 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Nice job. You cleaned the nacelles up very well.

10 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

You know, there is not much need for resin on this series of kits. My SMT was my first GWH kit, it is impressive with the amount of detail included and I hope to build the 9-13 sometime soon. As for my Mig, I spent over 6 hours decaling and finished today. Now on to the tiny bits and readying for a club contest on Saturday.

Thanx Matt :D

Indeed...there are few parts where resinnis really needed....perhaps the exhausts and the bang seat...but I'm all that convinced about these either. Details in this kit are fantastic!

Some MiG time again :D

Put on the rudders and slats on the wings and took the darin g step to remove the protection of the static discharger :P

IMG_3217_zpse2oi3rai.jpg

IMG_3218_zpsrliuq71x.jpg

And the countermeassure boxes in the fin strakes.

IMG_3219_zpsp4gtg0l2.jpg

Added the nose cone too...it sort of just fit, it´s loaded with my usual clay for counter weight.

IMG_3220_zps6eisoloo.jpg

Put together the HUD and it´s glass plates.

IMG_3221_zpstne2ftl8.jpg

MAsked the windscreen and glued in place.

IMG_3222_zpsf4wetqsv.jpg

Followed by the canopy.

IMG_3223_zpszwpmdpta.jpg

A bit of small stuff to add then it´s time for primer :D

IMG_3224_zpsvx1jue7r.jpg

Cheers!

Janne,

Nicely done adding all those bits and pieces for final assembly. Looking forward to seeing how she looks with a coat of primer.  And speaking of primer, are you going to be using the more traditional gray, or go with the latest craze of Black Basing? I'm a big fan of the results one gets with light color coats. The only time I don't go with it, is when I want to do a bleached/faded USN aircraft, then I use what I call Gray basing.

Joel

On 3/2/2017 at 0:45 PM, Aigore said:

The build is moving along...

I fixed some cosmetic stuff  before I glued the fuselage halfs together. I really like my clamps :P

IMG_3212_zps3fib3p1m.jpg

Yet they cause me some more cosmetic stuff to deal with :P TAmyia glue had seaped under the clamps teeth and left marks in the plastic.

IMG_3213_zps5ad2e6qm.jpg

Other than that it´s looknig good.

IMG_3214_zpshtpfvurc.jpg

Might as well put the fins in place :D
IMG_3215_zpskni34gnh.jpg

Looking Mig-ish, don´t you think?
IMG_3216_zpsmjkbrkx6.jpg

Cheers!

where can you get ahold of those clamps?  The clothes pins and tape I often use don't always cut it...

3 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Nicely done adding all those bits and pieces for final assembly. Looking forward to seeing how she looks with a coat of primer.  And speaking of primer, are you going to be using the more traditional gray, or go with the latest craze of Black Basing? I'm a big fan of the results one gets with light color coats. The only time I don't go with it, is when I want to do a bleached/faded USN aircraft, then I use what I call Gray basing.

Joel

LOL, heck no.....I'll go with my usual grey and then go all squiggly preshading it like I always do. I think black basing is for cockpits and wheelwells, like I've always done even when black basing wasn't a word used by anyone.

Just because armour builders come up with fancy ideas, we don't have to use all of them all the time. :D

1 hour ago, dsahling said:

where can you get ahold of those clamps?  The clothes pins and tape I often use don't always cut it...

Oh, I just bought them at a hard ware store...think any such store would have them.

11 hours ago, Aigore said:

LOL, heck no.....I'll go with my usual grey and then go all squiggly preshading it like I always do. I think black basing is for cockpits and wheelwells, like I've always done even when black basing wasn't a word used by anyone.

Just because armour builders come up with fancy ideas, we don't have to use all of them all the time. :D

Janne,

I see. I painted  my 1/48 scale Tamiya Mossie with the reverse of Black Basing because the colors were darker; Gray primer base and black blotches, the effect does indeed give that random weathered look I was after, yet the aircraft was clearly maintained.

dIqP46.jpg

On my current 1/32 scale F4F-3 I went with a gray primer and white squiggles. the effect after some light additional weathering just about killed the original effect. What I should have done is also applied some darker squiggles.

rJj9SW.jpg

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
add another reference picture
1 hour ago, Joel_W said:

On my current 1/32 scale F4F-3 I went with a gray primer and white squiggles. the effect after some light additional weathering just about killed the original effect. What I should have done is also applied some darker squiggles.

rJj9SW.jpg

Joel

I find that dark squiggles are good beneath a coat of paint and lighter squiggles are better on top of a coat of paint.

Then you use many different colours beneath a paint coat for different effects.