Time for an update :D

Soon time for primer but first this gun nozzle needs some attention...have to have a hole to shoot through!

IMG_3226_zpsdvhi19cj.jpg

I decided to tempt fate by adding the IFF antenna and the ADF areal.

IMG_3227_zpsgcnsbm10.jpg

IMG_3228_zpspfm0npvp.jpg

Used the wheel doors and some foam plastic to cover the wells.

IMG_3229_zpsvvp6rv5h.jpg

And on with the primer and a quick polish with a 4000 grit sanding pad.

IMG_3230_zpsqyeqixnv.jpg

And I finished todays session with my usual preshade squiggles.

IMG_3232_zpsca9row7u.jpg

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Looking real good with all that PE added.  Your primer technique is what I've been referring to as Gray basing, and you're a master at it.

Joel

Ah I see, think all techniques are getting muddled up in my brain :P

50 minutes ago, Aigore said:

Ah I see, think all techniques are getting muddled up in my brain :P

Janne,

I go from Black to a light gray, and have even used various colors, as all have a different effect on the thin topcoats.  I'm just not fond of pre-shading every panel line the same, as it never that way up close and personal.

Joel

OK got the first color down...

It took a bit of research and looking at pics to determin the color, since I use Lifecolor there aren´t many russian matches :P

ANyways II´ve decided to go with a yummy Uzbeki scheme in nice desert tones and got the light sand color by adding white to FS33711 until I was satisfied...about 30-40%

IMG_3234_zpszp59zgny.jpg

Next is the middle tan to figure out :P I´m going about this slowly 

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

The color looks great. I can't shoot Life Color no matter what I tried. So I just went back to Tamiya acrylics.

Joel

Thanx Joel :D

I hear many have problems shooting Lifecolor, after I overcame my initial issues I have never had any problems with Lifecolor. I guess it's down to prefered techniques, I shoot very thinned paint in many thin coats....maybe 10 coats to cover.

1 hour ago, Aigore said:

Thanx Joel :D

I hear many have problems shooting Lifecolor, after I overcame my initial issues I have never had any problems with Lifecolor. I guess it's down to prefered techniques, I shoot very thinned paint in many thin coats....maybe 10 coats to cover.

I tried thin coats of 2 parts paint to 3 parts their thinner, and Retarder, but the needle and cone just continued to clog up. When I got in for detail painting, it just spurted every time. So I went back to Tamiya acrylics. Far less color selection, so I'm mixing almost every color, but it works for me.

Joel

9 hours ago, Joel_W said:

I tried thin coats of 2 parts paint to 3 parts their thinner, and Retarder, but the needle and cone just continued to clog up. When I got in for detail painting, it just spurted every time. So I went back to Tamiya acrylics. Far less color selection, so I'm mixing almost every color, but it works for me.

Joel

I do steer clear of their thinner....I think it feels thick and oily, I use window cleaner... actually the same I thin tamyia with. It's called Ajax here...might be Windex or something else on your side of the pond.

Edited by Aigore

Finally the second color is on, I found Lifecolor RLM79 to be a decent match to the second color of the scheme, the sand color. What made things tricky was that all the fins and stabs were fitted during painting. :/

This made the painting process tideous with all the care I had to take to avoid unnecessary overspray and keep the paint borders somewhat tight and that meant many stops and pauses which made me have to find the sweet spot on the AB over and over again and deal with drying paint on the tip...even with retarder acrylic paint dries fast and I can´t force it with more preassure since the paint is so thinned all I would get is splotch-marks. I´m putting down about 10-12 coats of paint to make it cover.

After I put down the brown I´ll tighten up with the base color and get those oversprays.

IMG_3235_zps8xc9pv5f.jpg

IMG_3236_zps9q9ym0js.jpg

Cheers!

Very nice paintjob so far, and I feel the pain in the finger... 

130190-11032-99.jpg

why don't you try reducing the air pressure a bit with tip dry? Sometimes I get as low as 0.7bar (10PSI), and a friend of mine goes to 0.5 bar (7.2PSI)

2 hours ago, Silenoz said:

Very nice paintjob so far, and I feel the pain in the finger... 

130190-11032-99.jpg

why don't you try reducing the air pressure a bit with tip dry? Sometimes I get as low as 0.7bar (10PSI), and a friend of mine goes to 0.5 bar (7.2PSI)

I go to 0.5 bar too when doing really fine stuff, I work at 0.8bars for this. Dangers of too low preassure is sputter and bad atomisation as fast as there's any buildup on the needle and the dangers with high pressure is splutter. I like keeping it at my fingertips :D

My Kfirs where painted at low preassure (0.5bar) with my Micron-B

There, the final cammo color.... I used US Brown FS30140, thought that was a decent match :D
I´v e tighten the light borders and put down a little postshade going to look nice with the oil washes and stuff I´ll do later :D
 Next I´ll polish the surface and then mask for the belly paint.

IMG_3237_zpsppawyarz.jpg

IMG_3238_zpssl4zgrcy.jpg

IMG_3239_zpsyn61oxe1.jpg

IMG_3240_zpsfphp4y1m.jpg

cheers!

43 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

Nice... really nice...

Thanx Silenoz :D

36 minutes ago, janman said:

A desert Fulcrum is slowly emerging. Looks very good!

Thanx janman :D

Indeed...what else to expect from me? :P

But I do like all the paint options for MiG-29s...they are plentyful :)