747 Orbiter SCA Mounts Study

Hi guys, I wanted to post my progress on mounts for the 747-Orbiter SCA.    I'm doing this really for Tracy's 1:100 747.    I'm trying to get back into the groove of 3D modeling -- I get rusty so quickly --  so it's a good subject to practice on, and the shape of the mount is fascinating so I wanted to show you how it looks.

0TJLtJB.jpg

HW4hAUW.jpg

NawubaZ.jpg

Was NASA serious about this sign on the side?   :)

oRTRYSd.jpg

EXAjPrl.jpg

Awesome work! Way beyond what I was expecting. Thanks so much for taking this on. These are the last details I needed to get me motivated on this project.

Now to find good decals for the top half of the Orbiter. ;-)

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710

Hi Manfred, more like a lesson for me than by me, heheh.   Thanks for stopping by!   Hi Tony, wow!  Yes I'll need those close-up pics, thanks in advance!   Hey Tracy, you're welcome!  It's good exercise for me :)

Hi Ray, I saw this review from scalemodellingnow by Geoff McCoughlin and the detailing on the Revell 1:144 pylons don't seem too well defined:

xptx8tC.jpg

http://www.scalemodellingnow.com/hn-aircraft-kits-revell-boeing747-sca-space-shuttle

The ones on the Hasegawa kit are a little better but still simplified, although you couldn't really expect much at 1/200.   These will be 3D printed at 1:100 scale but I'm still not sure how the details would turn out.   I know Shapeways has made advances over the years so hopefully  the parts will be smoother with more defined details.   I don't expect them to be as strong as polystyrene kit parts, though.   FUD is brittle and wouldn't stand to a lot of load so Tracy will be casting them for his project using better materials.    But then undercuts would pose a problem when moulding so where recesses or openings are too deep on the actual object, I try to make them a bit more shallow.

HScEvx.gif

One thing I really want to know from other 3D modellers is if they "exaggerate" details so that they remain visible at small scales.   If i were to scale down a screw head, example, at 1:100 they become so small that they are difficult to see.   I'm not sure if I should enlarge them to keep them visible and to compensate for poorer printer resolutions? 

Edited by crackerjazz

Yeah, the Revell kit parts are not only undefined, they don't come anywhere close to any version of the SCA's. The new Dragon kit stanchions are even worse - They are too long and mount the shuttle too high.

The 1/200 Hasagawa kit has the best representation of the air foil type stachions.

There is also a 1/72 scale SCA conversion kit with stanchions that are greatly lacking.

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710
11 minutes ago, X-Plane Fan said:

CJ, 120 detail pics and some nice line art was just sent your way. 

Vidar, Muroc Models sells resin struts for the 1/144 Revell kit that are actually pretty nice (http://www.edwardsflighttest.com/price_list.pdf). They make both early and late versions.

Tony

Are Muroc Models still going? I see the website you linked is no longer seller stuff. I assume Muroc supplied them?

I would be interested to see the differences between the early and late version of the supports.

5 minutes ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Are Muroc Models still going? I see the website you linked is no longer seller stuff. I assume Muroc supplied them?

I would be interested to see the differences between the early and late version of the supports.

Well I just found some images of the parts from your 2011 builds Tony, Nice to revisit these builds

After poring through pics I had to go back to the drawing board as some of the shapes aren't as symmetrical as I thought.    First order of the day -- establishing measurements.

Ry1FeAg.jpg

1:100-scale Doyusha fuselage.

x9E0UZ3.jpg

ndQdDdZ.jpg

DxyDhxJ.jpg

Derived some measurements using the tool.    I believe that after all is said and done,  that is gonna be one tiny printed part-- and all those detailing on the main part would be contained in a tiny bounding box  less than 4mm high  :(   

Edited by crackerjazz

Hi Spaceman, thanks for stopping by!  :)

Had to start over using the measurements.   

Some shapes are difficult to see in the photos due to washout.  Had to adjust exposure to see clearly.   This area for example -- you wouldn't readily see where the cuts are.  That little overhang got me scratching my head for a while -- it shouldn't be there if the side were flat.   There's actually an area that angles inwards,

OywL6cS.jpg?1

t8J7yrL.jpg?1

I couldn't really see it until I've adjusted the shadows.    

ENUaUP6.jpg?1

nGFB3mD.jpg

Notice the left and right hand sides aren't symmetrical, and is one of the reasons I had to start again from scratch.

XqZYrPI.jpg

VWHzDsc.jpg

5iJZ38s.jpg

8ae31wJ.jpg

ppss2Bo.jpg

V3ZE7Xb.jpg

ELx6ryM.jpg

That's where I am as far as the starboard side pylon.   Just need to rotate the linkage in front.

Edited by crackerjazz

Hi Tracy, Ray, thanks!   Yes, I usually send them to Shapeways for printing in FUD.   Yeah, it would be interesting to see how 1/144 prints turn out -- we could give it a try.    If the details don't show up too well in 1/144 maybe we could make some detailing slightly bigger just so they'd remain visible.   And I guess don't expect too much as far as part smoothness and strength.  3D printed parts don't usually stand up to macro photography even in FUD because of printing grain but they look pretty good at normal viewing distance, and they're a bit on the brittle side so Tracy plans on casting them in stronger material for his 1/100 build.

Edited by crackerjazz

You may want to consider a 1/72 scale version as well. There is an SCA conversion kit from Transport Wings for their 1/72 scale multi-media 747 kit. The stanchions mounts in it are really lacking.

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710

Thanks Spaceman, Tracy!   Yes I think they will have to be separated.     Parts are really tiny though,  I'm really not sure if all the details will show in the print.   I'd really like to know how other 3d modellers do theirs -- if they modify measurements and make details bigger even if out of scale just so they remain visible when printed.   So far I just stayed true to the real hardware, so I'm just crossing my fingers.   

d5drlfM.jpg

yA89au8.jpg

BVZCH0M.jpg