747 Orbiter SCA Mounts Study

I think most of the details will print based on other printed stuff I have, like my 1/350 scale weapons, wing stations, and drop tanks for my Nimitz, Enterprise, and Kennedy Airwings.

I have no problem with you softening up some of it since the shuttle will be obscuring them anyway. What you've done here has gone way beyond my expectations. I would have been happy with simply doubling the size of the Hasagawa parts. ;-)

Shapeways is printing some pretty incredible jewelry that has tiny details. They are great about letting you know if your model is printable when you submit it.

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710

Slightly off-topic, but I had never seen the Orbiter/SCA in this configuration.  Apparently it was a test of the orbiter's landing gear deployment while on a captive ALT flight. Since the shuttle can only deploy (not retract) the gear, the combo landed in this configuration.

ec77-8142_0.jpg

I remember this mission. It was televised prior to the first test flight of Enterprise. They flew the profile as close to the shuttle as possible - for a 74, then released the gear shortly before touch down.

Gold flight suits, 74 crew, Blue, Shuttle crew. I believe that is Fred Haise (Apollo 13) Blue on the right.

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710

from https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/multimedia/imagegallery/ALT/EC77-8142.html

The SCA crew is in the yellow suits and the Enterprise crew in the blue suits. From left, they are SCA pilot-in-command Fitz Fulton, Enterprise pilot-in-command Gordon Fullerton, SCA flight engineer Vic Horton, Enterprise pilot (and Apollo 13 veteran) Fred Haise, SCA flight engineer Vincent Alvarez, and SCA co-pilot Tom McMurtry.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:00 PM, X-Plane Fan said:

CJ, 120 detail pics and some nice line art was just sent your way. 

Vidar, Muroc Models sells resin struts for the 1/144 Revell kit that are actually pretty nice (http://www.edwardsflighttest.com/price_list.pdf). They make both early and late versions.

Tony

Hi Tony, I sent a email to Muroc about their struts and another item but have not heard back from them.  Do you have regular contact with them?

Thanks

Cool!  Thanks for sharing!  

Some progress...

I tried building these plates and noticed they changed:

s9XsMPU.jpg

tPzWwfg.jpg

I was also modeling the top airfoil:

c9AYL3e.jpg

When I noticed the profile had changed  from this:

RHkIG9I.jpg

1jUITac.jpg

To a longer one with a flat trailing edge:

N2fqAzU.jpg

kfFEEZB.jpg

NbRM2UB.jpg

WIC1ZBG.jpg

1ctLa7l.jpg

NDO5zDU.jpg

EWMcgyk.jpg

Yup. Each SCA has its own distinctive set of mounts.

Tracy

P.S. I was thinking about what I need to measure the 747's hull for ya, but forgot you have your own kit. ;-)

In regards to printable detail, I had some really nice 1/32 scale Navy flight deck crew printed out. Incredible detail from boom mics being away from the face, to individual tie down hooks drooping free away from the body of the figure carrying them.

Edited by Vidar_710

Oops, I'd forgotten the 905 had been repainted white.   I need to do my homework  :)    Hi Tracy, you're building a 905, are you?  And those figures you mentioned -- are those the Reedoak ones?   

Oh, and Tony, which one was this?

tPzWwfg.jpg

I am doing 905 in bare metal. Came up with a nifty technique to paint American Airlines fuselages. So many folks just paint them silver and leave it at that. I have a 757 buddy build thread with Dutycat showing the results of the technique.

YES! Reedoak figures, and another 3D set out of Italy. I also got an Ordinanceman carrying an ammo belt around his neck carrying an ammo box from Shapeways.

BTW... This is looking incredible!

Tracy

Thanks, Tracy!  

Just curious --  that knob-like thing that goes into the belly of the shuttle looks different here -- were these used just for testing? :

dRBjX09.jpg

vqUmdBT.jpg

And this photo from the Famous Spaceships of Space and Fantasy book shows something else:

z4luxXA.jpg

And since you're doing an early 905, I guess I'll have to modify my 3D model.  I just hope I'm making the right assumptions.  It's easy to confuse the 911 and the 905 that's repainted white.

pHl9T94.jpg

bZJiD4l.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

The black mounts on the previous image are the ones manufactured to hold the shuttle mockup currently mounted to 905, they are not actual flight hardware. If you're doing an early ALT configuration, the struts and fairings were quite different and the mounts used on Enterprise were significantly different than those used for just ferrying the other orbiters.

I like the set with the airfoils. Keep doin' what you're doin'. I do have 1/100 decals for both versions of the SCA. I'm NOT doing Enterprise, so the newer versions will work for me.

Tracy

I see the issues with differences from port to starboard mounts... I like the mount to starboard (right). Just do a mirror image of it for the port side.

If I were just building the SCA, I would probably worry about it, but since a Tamiya Shuttle is going to be sitting on it, you won't be seeing it unless you break out a dental mirror! LOL

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710

Thanks CJ.

Let me say this.... I see you are a stickler for detail. If not doing the distinctively different port mount bugs you, then knock yourself out. I'm not in a rush. I just don't want this to become a hassle for you figuring making a mirror image saves you time and effort. Whichever way you want to go is fine by me. This has gone WAY passed my nearest expectations anyway.  ;-)

Tracy

Hey, Rocketdrvr, thanks for stopping by!  Hi, Tracy, I modified the airfoil to a 905 and gave mirroring a try.   What do you think about the "feet" - should I modify them back to a 905 - or would this be fine  :rolleyes:  (less work, heheh).  

8eOBKDh.jpg

0LJikf6.jpg

wsnoDxL.jpg

XJAGqVL.jpg

How do you feel about having the fittings mirror each other, though -- something like below.   Or should I try to stay faithful to the double-strut design for the left side?

HoEfLUm.jpg

Also, there are some parts that aren't really mirrored such as the base of the ball mount. The orientation of that part when installed is the same on either side and shouldn't really be mirrored.   I could correct it but when the part is really tiny the difference is unnoticeable.   

yCt0mbS.jpg

Some progress on the main strut.  

3zQzAUd.jpg

I found some shots on the web for the shape of the 905 airfoil (without the pinched trailing edge).

m4pYfOl.jpg

AaGM4Ck.jpg

oATvnU2.jpg

SsEQRif.jpg

LCl3JKi.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

CJ... Just AWESOME!!! I have no trouble with mirroring the aft mounts. Ev-er-y-thing looks incredible! Like I said above, if you feel not doing the duel strut config for the port side bugs you, go for it. I am most certainly good with what you've done here.

I just got back from D.C. and visited the Air-n-Space museum up north... (The Boeing Hanger) and visited the Discovery.

I've decided Discovery will be mounted on a bare metal 905 with updated mounts. Accurate? I have no idea... don't care. ;-)

Tracy

27 minutes ago, Vidar_710 said:

I've decided Discovery will be mounted on a bare metal 905 with updated mounts. Accurate? I have no idea... don't care. ;-)

905 was painted white/blue in May 1983, first ferry flight for OV-103 was November 1983. It may not be accurate but it'll sure look nice.

Thanks!  :)        Did the port side double struts anyway....couldn't help it   :(     Why couldn't they have just mirrored it on the real thing?   Port side airfoil is also a bit longer.   Tracy, I don't know how this would affect your molding  -- if the double struts will be this small and fragile there probably is some sense in just mirroring them to get the benefit of the thicker starboard single strut -- maybe we can decide once everything's done.    Pretty much done on the rear  and getting ready to start on the front mount.

M4oZpc9.jpg

RhGyJ4C.jpg

2XaQrFi.jpg

G5vl5oz.jpg

zde6O3C.jpg

1bU17GA.jpg

QUKUezK.jpg

Ai4uzDo.jpg