crackerjazz

747 Orbiter SCA Mounts Study

58 posts in this topic

I knew you wouldn't be able to help yourself! ;-)

They look awesome!!!

Molding would be a snap if you make the vertical mounts and forward braces one part, then the two different inboard braces separate. I'll assemble them on the model. I plan to cast them in white metal or hard resin.

Will the tongue brackets that the braces bolt to be in the side braces, or will I need to just make them from sheet styrene?

Tracy

Posted (edited)

Hi Tracy, sorry for the delay, I was having a little trouble matching/aligning some views for the front mount.   And the pull of the Tomcat was too strong (was kind of working on that, too, to prevent burnout :rolleyes:

I was trying to match the rear view line drawing with the sideview and couldn't get them to match.   The 4.46 deg.  mentioned here threw me off.

O9LRHrb.jpg

DxvsgVK.jpg

NnBUZzv.jpg

XnQgOj6.jpg

FP0viSR.jpg

Until i found a portion of the blueprints showing the ferry position and overlayed the rear views on it.   It's clearer to me now.   The front mount can kneel lower that what's shown in the rear view.   

HjHEH1J.jpg

BTW, your question about the tongue brackets -- they'll be there when I separate the parts.   They'll be really tiny, though -- hopefully they'll still be recognizeable. 

Edited by crackerjazz

No worries... I'm not one to throw stones in glass houses. I bounce around project to project as well. Keeps the project fresh when you can walk away from it and start fresh without completely leaving the hobby.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the forward mount.  I am extremely glad you have your own 1/100 747 there to reference from - cuts down on the difficulties of explaining details via text. ;-)

Tracy

Hi, just getting back to this, sorry.  Project isn't dead ...... work is getting in the way of hobby-time   :)

d2Y0NCo.jpg

mh4Powl.jpg

urne5zA.jpg

JBDWwZQ.jpg

7pi2M0H.jpg

I'm mirroring both sides for now but will correct later.   Only the starboard side should have the knuckles (I wonder why).

Posted (edited)

Looking terrific! The drawings as a guide are awesome. How well does the shape, and diameter of the Entex 74 fuselage match the drawings? Do they match, or do you expect any post adjustments after the modeling is done?

When I get home off my current trip, I'll share the 3D printed additions I already have for this project:

Shuttle tail cone

747 engines

Vertical tip stabs for the horizontal tail surfaces 

Kreager leading edge flaps, and trailing edge flaps.

Now if we can get Hotdog to rescale the top side shuttle decals for the Tamiya kit!  ;-)

Tracy

currenly, l've been the most motivated with my Large Starship Excelsior scratch build.

Edited by Vidar_710

Compared to the drawings, the Entex/Doyusha height at this point is off by a few mm --  could be the drawings or the kit itself : (     I'll have to measure the width at the attachment points of the forward mount and make adjustments to the 3D model if necessary.

ViOivDc.jpg

WEmWAgq.jpg

For the longest time, I thought the forward mounts actually attached to the fuselage right into the aft window ports in the dome. Looking back I discovered why... The old 1/144 scale Revell Shuttle/SCA kit I built as a kid made that the gluing point for the forward mounts. LOL

Tracy

1 hour ago, Vidar_710 said:

For the longest time, I thought the forward mounts actually attached to the fuselage right into the aft window ports in the dome. Looking back I discovered why... The old 1/144 scale Revell Shuttle/SCA kit I built as a kid made that the gluing point for the forward mounts. LOL

Tracy

I'm building that kit now and left those windows open for the same reason, looks like I will fill them and make new mounts.