747 Orbiter SCA Mounts Study

OOOOOO K. My comments about the decals are incorrect.

The decals I showed above are NOT the actual decals! They are a paper back sticky representation (not to scale). The actual decals are larger and to scale. They will fit the orbiter properly. Just need to have them 49.5mm apart.

Actual decals.

0817170932-1.jpg

The recessed trench decals are 12.6mm wide x 13mm long. The doors are 13mm x 13.2mm

The paper back sticky graphics are a bit smaller, so I'm good decal-wise. ;-). Here's the difference.

0817170942.jpg

The distance according to placement on the 1/100 scale 747 should be 49.5mm

Tracy

• 1 month later...

Was trying to figure out a way to reconcile the line drawings with the kit's airframe so that the mounts can be comfortably glued on vertically at 49.5mm spacing.  Took the contour at the mounting area.

oTJXvgy.jpg

OBYsbHo.jpg

Will use the spline to cut through the cross section of the "feet" of the aft mounts.

Great idea with the contour gadge. Can't find mine! This will help shaping and adjusting the gluing points to match the curvature of the fuselage's skin. May help with positioning the forward mount gluing points as well.

Tracy

• 1 month later...

Hi Tracy, you're right.   The A7 was making me lose traction on this.  Let me do the corrections to adapt to the new contour.

zOFw94n.jpg

Feet will have to be spun a little and the struts shortened and raised.

RQgl1Rf.jpg

Main problem would be this.  Not sure what the effect of the twist will do.   It might move the upper end of the strut outwards.

2oEVeZn.jpg

I can twist from here maybe.

QNbdCDS.jpg

S4lAFBT.jpg

But it might change the angle of the foot,  I'm not sure.   But let me try it.  Any angle issues will probably be very minimal and gaps can be filled with glue.  Let me do the corrections and then I can start separating the pieces.

kbbywjn.jpg

Split the parts and did some adjustments.

jz1lYNP.jpg

WdWgLDR.jpg

qkggoZ0.jpg

Z3QQTBm.jpg

viuNW9h.jpg

Hi Tracy, would you like to try it out printed as is first, without breaking them down?    Just to be able to see how they fit on the fuselage?  I can upload the parts of the rear mounts to Shapeways.

That would be awesome! Thanx!

Seeing how they are configured, I think I can mold and cast the front and vertical stanchions together, and have the lateral supports molded separate when the time comes, but yeah! Let’s do a full print test to see if they fit the contour of the fuselage. 

I’ll post images here when I get them.

Let me know when they’re ready.

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tracy,  I've uploaded it.  I saw some mounts there already, lol.   Anyway here's mine.  Didn't really add any markup so that's their price that you'll see.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/L3M2SMF6Y/747-sca-main-rear-mounts-parts-combined?optionId=64071108&li=marketplace

Let me know how it goes or if any modifications are required.

Hey CJ,

Thanx! I ordered the extreme detail print. Might as well see what we'll get! I saw the other mounts. Not as detailed, but also way too big. I thought maybe for 1/72 scale, but they seem too big for that as well.

I'll post images on the fuselage when I get them,.. Possibly by the 1st week of December or so is what I'm guessing by other prints I've had made.

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...

Yay, so glad this setup in this scale is being worked up, now I don't have to do it!

Do you know what rubber/resin you will use? I know a guy in So. Cal. got excellent product.

And what is available, or will be available in 1/100 scale? For instance, the Rear Fairing.

Will this be a package deal to wait for, or do I get to scrounging around for all the items?

THX

Edited by phasephantomphixer

I gotta say CJ,  you really nailed it! Here's some pics.

They didn't fare too well in the packing they used. The lateral braces snapped off. This is how I want to mold and cast them anyway! With the parts separated, having some sort of pin-n-peg arrangement will help with  stronger bonding points when the castings are glued together.

1128171725-1.jpg

Glued back together.

1128171729b-2.jpg

Close-ups.

1128171729b-1.jpg

1128171728-1.jpg

1128171729-1.jpg

1129170221-1.jpg

I used Temporary 2-sided tape to check the fit and how they match the shape of the fuselage. AWESOME work CJ!!!

Front

1129170216a-1.jpg

1129170216-1.jpg

Side

1129170215c-1.jpg

Back

1129170215b-1.jpg

Rear

1129170215a-1.jpg

Thanx for doing these CJ. I don't see anything else that needs to be done other the separating them for easy molding and casting. Looking forward to seeing how the forward mount turns out!

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710

Hey, Tracy, you're welcome!  I'm really glad to see them print out.  Do the prints look pretty smooth when viewed normally (not zoomed in)?    I have to thank Tony for the drawings and photos -- no 3D model without those.  Let me work on separating the parts and completing the forward mount. 

Hi, phasephantomphixer, thanks! My homework is just modeling the mounts, actually  :)   which Tracy will be casting in a durable material.  And I believe he already has the tail cone.  Are you building a 1/100?

Hello, Yes actually have two 1/100 Piggyback builds. Myself, and a friend. We are only as far as the kits, and Draw Decals for the 747. Myself, I want to do the (1988 or 1989?) version as I saw it pass overhead walking into work near Edwards. It is too bad the humorous stencil wouldn't show up in this scale. I have "cleaned up" raw 3D printed masters before, it seems best to use 400 and 600 grit paper cut to size needed, and superglued to toothpicks. For radii, I use the sandpaper in strips, or the bow type flexifile. As long as you know the type of rubber you are using does not adhere to the 3D part, primer is not always necessary. See nowhere in thread to attain these items...  Thanks.

CJ,

Normal range; The parts are gorgeous! More detail than I could ask for in 1/100 scale.

I plan to clean the finals up with fine sanding and primer layers with associated sanding/buffing before I put them into rubber for casting in hard resin.

Just a side note: I WILL NOT be selling copies of YOUR work in resin. These are just for me. Folks can buy and use the print, or mold their own set for strength.

Here's a list of 3D printed parts I already have for this project:

Shuttle Tail Cone - from Click 2 Detail

Horizontal stab vertical stabilizers - from Click 2 Detail

Krueger and Trailing edge flaps - from Shapeways 

4 X 747 JT9-D engines - from Click 2 Detail

Note: it seems C2D has gone under. Their website and Facebook pages have disappeared.

I've had the Draw decals for both schemes for a few years now. I know the folks in MIA that print them for Draw. If I wasn't an airline pilot, I would probably move down there and work for them. ;-)

To be certain, I will run a build thread on this project here on ARC.

I've envisioned a display on a hi-speed taxiway with the flaps still in the landing configuration, OR a take-off roll with the trailing edge flaps in T/O position... TBD

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710
  • 2 weeks later...

Yup, CJ has started on the forward mount as seen earlier in this thread.

I was surprised Click 2 Detail closed up shop. They had some impressive products. Bought a LOT of 1/350 scale aircraft weapons and drop tanks for my 3 aircraft carrier projects.

Tracy

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Working on this again.  A couple things are giving me trouble -- the line drawings don't reflect the actual shapes well.  The top part I've completed wouldn't match the strut dimensions so  I might have to start from scratch;  Also, I'm re-learning how to work the software after a long hiatus  : (

Some of Tony's photos.   Adjusted the lighting  to see the shapes better:

42916594321_def20a9e73_b.jpg

Left and right sides aren't mirrored.

42198213284_8d30c65e90_b.jpg

42916594281_3d763eb511_b.jpg

42198213234_d67fabf95b_b.jpg

42916594201_04b159e07f_b.jpg

42198213174_ccc316a88e_b.jpg

42916594161_384f223617_b.jpg