747 Orbiter SCA Mounts Study

I’ll dig out the 74 and measure... pics too.

Here's a thought... add small pegs onto the glueing surfaces. I’ll drill small holes into the fuselage dome so the forward mount can snap into place for better support.

Tracy

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay!

Now I can't find MY digital caliper... I marked up 1mm from the top of the aft dome windows, then used a set of two-point dividers and read off the metric side of a standard ruler. The spread is 39mm.

Tracy

• 2 months later...

I think this is a cool plane for the transport of space shuttles, in general it is a very interesting topic. From early childhood I was interested in airplanes, space and everything connected with it, I thought to become a pilot, even went to courses for a while But then my parents I was dissuaded from this, and now I am very sorry, I am sitting at home, and then I go to the office for a boring job and read this wonderful forum. In my free time I help students with coursework , clik this you turn to my official page,  in college it was my favorite type of work and I often only did it.

Edited by RileySchonell
20 hours ago, RileySchonell said:

I think this is a cool plane for the transport of space shuttles, in general it is a very interesting topic. From early childhood I was interested in airplanes, space and everything connected with it, I thought to become a pilot, even went to courses for a while But then my parents I was dissuaded from this, and now I am very sorry, I am sitting at home, and then I go to the office for a boring job and read this wonderful forum. In my free time I help students with coursework , clik this you turn to my official page,  in college it was my favorite type of work and I often only did it.

I would also like to become a pilot, I think a really cool profession.

• 2 months later...

I’ve been wrapped around the axel with the new job enduring training since January. Now that I recently finished, I’ve been able to look into the hobby again. Just curious with the progress on the forward mount.

Tracy

• 3 weeks later...

It's solid now....  Will still need to do something to make it look like folded sheet metal.   I planned on starting with folded sheet metal and filling the insides to turn it solid but it will take longer to do so I thought maybe just create the solid shape and carve out panel lines.    At least we can visualize the basic shape of the fairing now and see where we're headed.

There are some other shapes still missing -- those little extensions at the top and bottom of the fairing that make it conform to the curved hull.  It might not really matter not having those, I think, as the openings at either end would be barely visible at this size.   Will just need to rotate the fairings properly to the kit's hull curvature.

47964752116_72ab898334_b.jpg

47964752096_0f58fbc83d_b.jpg

47964695537_4cf29a01b1_b.jpg

47964722658_58bcc6e2c7_b.jpg

47964752146_be889f0530_b.jpg

47964722688_9a46e0335c_b.jpg

47964722743_f40678cd03_b.jpg

47964722788_5cb6102f2a_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Manfred! : )    Had a couple issues  -- I couldn't create a solid from the surfaces of the fairing -- resolved that by turning gap control off.  Then I had  trouble scaling down to 1-100 with all the separate parts to combine.  For some reason the parts wanted to combine a certain way.  Learned my lesson there -- next time I'll draw the parts to scale so I wouldn't have to scale down in the end.   It's all sorted now, though.  And this is now one solid 1-100 part.   I've also rotated the fairings to the correct angles to hug the hull curvature.   

48097277102_df016b3f4d_b.jpg

48097277077_4bd539a79b_b.jpg

48097847768_82f2c74541_b.jpg

Got a question, Tracy.   I think we could skip those little extensions on the edges of the fairings?      Also couldn't find a photo of the attachment point on top.  I guess any shape will do?   Then it's just the rivets remaining to work on and she's done.

Edited by crackerjazz

I may have an image on my PC of the attachment point. I’m on a 7 day trip that takes me out of the country. When I get back, I’ll see if I can find it... if I recall, it’s actually a short cylinder looking deal unlike the ball/dome points on the rear mounts.

Tracy

Sure thing.   I've been trying to see if I did anything wrong but the struts of the front mount do look spindly on the real aircraft.   

48164234716_3bd1d22090_b.jpg

Doyusha 1/100 747

48164314052_e2f074db5e_b.jpg

Hasegawa 1/200

I can see why Hasegawa had to adjust the dimensions on the model or it can buckle with the shuttle mounted.    Will do the same and enlarge the parts a little.

Although I can't contribute any details or dimensions for the mounts, I can contribute mention of a NASA YouTube video which I just came across, 7 years after it was posted!
Shows a Shuttle being prepped to be installed atop a 747 and then the installation.

Timelapse Footage: Space Shuttle Discovery Arrives at the Mate/Demate Device

NASAKennedy

Published on Apr 17, 2012