Mr paint question

Any primer that works okay under Acrylic Lacquer should work under Mr Paint's Acrylic Lacquer.

When I bought my four sample bottles, I missed seeing their Primer on the list. If I had noticed it in time, I would have tried their Primer also.

I am going to experiment with using Mr Paint as the primer, though. It sure smells like it will have enough bite to work as its own primer.

I don't use Mr Color, so I wouldn't have any idea of how Mr Paint behaves around it or Tamiya.

5 hours ago, HistnScale said:

I've had no problem with using Tamiya, Testors, Alclad or Mr. Surfacer as primers under Mr. Color.

Just to clarify for everybody, he's asking about Mr. Paint:

image.jpg

Not Mr. Color.

It *should* be fine over standard acrylic lacquer primers (Mr. Surfacer, Tamiya's primers, Alclad Microfiller Pimers, etc), but if you want to be absolutely certain, you could always used one of Mr. Paints own primers: http://mrpaint.sk/index.php?route=product/search&search=primer  And of course, experiment before use, just in case.

And it should clean up with standard lacquer thinners. If you want to think it for painting, I'd go with a Gunze Levelling thinner, Mr. Color thinner or Tamiya lacquer thinner, though.

Anyone in the USA order direct from the manufacturer? Last month I decided to try Mr. Paint. I had to order from both Red Star and Hobbyworld to cover about a dozen colors because it seemed both were out of stock of about half the line. Even then it seemed to take a bit longer than I expected for the orders to arrive, considering I ordered some stuff from L'Arsenal in France 2 days later that arrived first by regular mail.

Edited by Crash Test Dummy

I ordered mine from Uschi, before I found out that I could have gotten them here in the US. I seem to remember that they got here in about the same time as a Hannants order would take.

At the time that I ordered them, I only knew that they were "Acrylic", no one knew (or answered my question, anyway) if they were Water based or Lacquers. Now that I have them, I know that they are Lacquers.

Great paint,,,,,,,but, I can only use them outside, which defeats my reasons for using Acrylics in the first place. Since I like the colors, and I have just read many replies that say they can be used directly on the plastic, I will pop outside long enough to spray them, clean the airbrush, and pop the model into a paint fumes box until the smell goes away. Then use the Water based acrylics for the next coat.

Anyone that uses Gunze or Tamiya should love these when they try them.

On 2/17/2017 at 0:26 AM, Crash Test Dummy said:

Anyone in the USA order direct from the manufacturer? Last month I decided to try Mr. Paint. I had to order from both Red Star and Hobbyworld to cover about a dozen colors because it seemed both were out of stock of about half the line. Even then it seemed to take a bit longer than I expected for the orders to arrive, considering I ordered some stuff from L'Arsenal in France 2 days later that arrived first by regular mail.

Took about 3 weeks straight from Mr. Paint. Matthew Bole over at Hobbyworld-USA does his best to keep it in stock but he usually sells out of it as quick as he gets it. I know his last order of 800ish bottles sold out quickly

Just a friendly word of warning!

the store I help out in sell Mr.paint and I've used them some (love them!) BUT!!! some customers have had problems on occasion with uneven finish and flaking on parts of the model.

It seems that Mr.Paint can react to some plastics and that you really need to shake them well before use, none of those who use primer (Gunze, MrP, Tamya, Citadel, UMP) have reported any trouble if they remember to shake the bottle well (I cheat and use my Ultrasound cleaner station)

We were so impressed by their range of Swedish splinter-colours so we asked them if they would produce some other Swedish colours and they did! So we now have a almost full range of SwAF-Colours (we are hunting down colour samples of the remaining as I type) \o/

Edit:

Being able to airbrush at really low PSI is wonderful! even if I don't have a Paint Both the low pressure means that there is not much paint odour if I ventilate well

Edited by Lars_Befring

well they showed up today and I decided to give the intakes on my su-34's a bit of blue.

some thoughts

they stink. after many years of tamiya acrylics they will need getting used to, luckily I have a fan in my model room

they are really thin. I sprayed the light blue onto the intake parts and they needed several passes to get complete coverage. priming would have changed that.

they spray beautifully. it is going to be very easy to control the paint over preshading etc.

they are not cheap. I ended up paying about 12 canadian pesos per bottle shipped.

they are totally worth it.