Photoetch pioneer Fred Hultberg is dead

Frederic Hultberg, proprietor of Fotocut, and known by his email signature, "oletcherfred," died last September at age 70. In association with the late Harry Woodman, Fred developed sheets of photoetch details for World War I aircraft models in the 1970s, and expanded the line to include photoetch details in other scales for specific models as well as sets of generic photoetch products.

Wow sad news. I first met Fred way back in the late 80s at a Noreastcon and several times at various model shows in the North East US. He was a great guy to talk to. At the time his stuff was great and I think was truly a pioneer for the PE producers. I still have several of his sets and I really do like his no sprue way layout for this PE parts.

Sad to hear.

I had no idea what I was doing when I wanted to make my first etch products and he was there to help and encourage me.

I recall getting frustrated one time when my etch wasn't ready until I found out he couldn't get it done because he was busy helping a neighbor repair his roof during a huge snow-storm.

He was a good guy.

On 2/15/2017 at 0:07 PM, skyhawk174 said:

I still have several of his sets and I really do like his no sprue way layout for this PE parts.

The no sprue method is really nice but I understand it took lots of extra effort on his part to ensure alignment of the two side being etched, with lots of rejects. I guess that's why we don't see other manufacturers using this method.

Etch3.jpg

It sure is/was nice though. No damaging fragile little parts trying to file away the sprue connection. No tiny parts flying across the room.

Maybe somebody will apply some modern technology and this will make a come-back.