The latest version of British Army Lynx, the AH Mk9 now had landing gear as opposed to skids.

1658577.jpg?v=v40

Do you think it would be possible to convert the Revell 1/32 HAS 3 kit into a AH Mk9?  It doesn't look too difficult.

169025-10074-pristine.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

Not a Lynx expert by any suggestion but a quick scout through the googlesphere reveals the Mk 9 is based on the Mk 7  which had uprated rotors from earlier Mks. Looking at this shot, shows a totally different intake & exhaust set up possibly for a lower heat signature, so maybe the one in your shot is a prototype??? They are a bit cool looking though I reckon, I'd certainly look at a kit of one, but I'm into tiny (1/72) stuff. :rolleyes:

Steve.

Hi HeavyArty,

This isn't a conversion that I have tried, or even contemplated, but there will be good, solid, advice on Britmodeller. I'm not sure if anyone has done a 1/32 conversion, but 1/48 has been - but this was possibly using an AH.7 as the basis.

There are a couple of "stickies" on the Lynx, both Navy and Army versions, as well as a couple of threads that may be of some use to you.

IIRC, there were some ex-aircrew and ex-ground crew (and maybe some still serving) who post there.

Hope these links work......

Navy Lynx :- http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234915892-westland-lynx-versions-navy/

Army Lynx :- http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234915904-westland-lynx-versions-army/

1/48 AH.9A conversion (build) :- http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/73999-belcher-bits-148-lynx-photo-heavy/

1/48 AH.9A conversion (inspection) :- http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/79062-belcher-bits-148-westland-lynx-ah9a/

If you want to post on Britmodeller, you will be made most welcome by the folks there.

The Lynx you have pictured is an AH.9, which is not the latest version. The latest Army version is the AH.9A, which is pictured in Stevehnz's post. The term "latest" is relatively speaking, it is more accurate to call it the "last" version! The Lynx is on it's way out of U.K. military service. The AH.7's have already gone, the Navy Lynx's are due to leave service next month - but I think current plans are for the AH.9A to soldier on until 2019, and will be replaced by Wildcat, which is like a Lynx on steroids.

I should also point out that the Lynx's shown in your and Stevehnz's posts are not standard AH.9's/AH.9A's. Both are SF cabs from 657 Squadron, part of the Joint Special Forces Aviation Wing. The extra aerials and detectors on the nose are the give away. Your photo shows a particularly "vanilla" AH.9, they usually carry much more kit than this. Over the years they have been variously fitted with MX-10's on the left side below the cockpit, a larger version (MX-15?) near the cabin door, fast rope rig and usually a 50 cal HMG in the doorway (M3M version).

Despite being special forces, there are plenty of photographs out there showing the kit they carry. The SF AH.9A's will probably be the last in service, there are rumours that 8 SF-modified Wildcats will be purchased to replace them.

Hope this helps,

Michael.

Hi again HeavyArt,

By chance, a member of another forum over here, FighterControl.co.uk, has just put up a couple of photo's of a 657 Sqn AH.9A which flew into Norwich yesterday.

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142377

This shows the latest mod state of the AH.9A - fitted with a wire strike system, different antennae etc.

All the best,

Michael.

• 2 months later...

Hi there.
I'm still working on Lynx at this time. The gear used on the Mk9 and 9A (wheeled variants) has remained the same. It's based similarly to that of the Westland Wessex/Whirlwind setup. You'd need to have the correct hardpoints to attach the wheel legs to. I'm thinking of trying a similar conversion on a German 1/32 Revell Lynx a good while from now. Unfortunately nobody has come out with a 9A conversion set (that I can find) which crucially updates the engine intake and exhaust system. So it looks like those will have to be scratch built. PM me if you're still thinking of doing a conversion for this kit to the army wheeled variant, and I'll see if I've any better images of wheel struts.