F-14D 164350 final scheme query

A query for you serious F-14 guys. When F-14D 164350 flew its last display back in 2006, it looks like the phoenix missile rails underneath were grey.

21318718672_3361b2a206_b.jpg

However, the airframe now sits in Palmdale and the phoenix rails are now white.

f-14d_usn_164350_joedavisplant42_03.jpg

A: Is there any particular reason for the change?

B Would the grey of the rails be fs 36320?

Edited by Alternative 4

Most likely FS36375 as most undersides of USN aircraft have this color these days. FS36320 was used more on the side and/or top depending on airframe and -time. 

Why they changed the color from grey to white will be speculation at best 

On 2/15/2017 at 11:46 PM, Alternative 4 said:

A query for you serious F-14 guys. When F-14D 164350 flew its last display back in 2006, it looks like the phoenix missile rails underneath were grey.

21318718672_3361b2a206_b.jpg

However, the airframe now sits in Palmdale and the phoenix rails are now white.

f-14d_usn_164350_joedavisplant42_03.jpg

A: Is there any particular reason for the change?

B Would the grey of the rails be fs 36320?

It's likely they were simply painted to match the rest of the underside during preparation for display. They were grey simply because the aircraft was painted without them and then the phoenix pallets (at that time more accurately bomb pallets since once they're converted to A2G use they lost Aim-54 functionality) were uploaded from whatever was available. 

The pallets would actually have been FS 36375, light ghost grey. 

• 3 weeks later...

That particular jet never flew an actual display in these colors. I think the colors went on by mid or end of August 2006 and it was just sitting in the static at Oceana airshow in 2006 and was used for another static incl. some inert weapons displayed around it at the Sunset ceremony Sept. 22 in 2006. Try to google "Tomcat Sunset Ceremony" and yo should find plenty of this ship in these colors. Originally they just painted the bird without any tanks but also painted a set of palletts in white as well. While in these colors it still flew some training missions albeit only a few until it was eventually delivered to the museum. During these days they ocassionally put on whatever pallett and rail was available including some standard grey ones. During the Sunset flyout ceremony they put the white palletts back on and upon its final flight to the museum Palmdale they also put the  gloss white tanks on featuring a "Felix Rulez" writing. Far as I know the tanks were only on during its last flight to the museum.

So it's basically your decision how ou want to portrait the bird. Feel free to put on whatever you like. But the jet didn't carry any weapons load anymore in these colors.

Edited by bushande
13 hours ago, bushande said:

That particular jet never flew an actual display in these colors. I think the colors went on by mid or end of August 2006 and it was just sitting in the static at Oceana airshow in 2006 and was used for another static incl. some inert weapons displayed around it at the Sunset ceremony Sept. 22 in 2006. Try to google "Tomcat Sunset Ceremony" and yo should find plenty of this ship in these colors. Originally they just painted the bird without any tanks but also painted a set of palletts in white as well. While in these colors it still flew some training missions albeit only a few until it was eventually delivered to the museum. During these days they ocassionally put on whatever pallett and rail was available including some standard grey ones. During the Sunset flyout ceremony they put the white palletts back on and upon its final flight to the museum Palmdale they also put the  gloss white tanks on featuring a "Felix Rulez" writing. Far as I know the tanks were only on during its last flight to the museum.

So it's basically your decision how ou want to portrait the bird. Feel free to put on whatever you like. But the jet didn't carry any weapons load anymore in these colors.

Thanks for the reply. I like the Felix rules tanks, so I guess all under white will be the way I go. Much appreciated.

23 hours ago, jbryan911 said:

I've got to organize the album better, but here are some shots of her the day of the Sunset ceremony. She was dressed in white pallets. (click on picture for more)

This is probably best set of pictures I have seen of that day! Really awesome shots of not only the Tomcats but a whole bunch of other stuff. Very good quality too! Thanks for sharing. I wish I had seen this before I attempted my 1/72 Tomcat, your pictures have everything I was looking for at the time.