Badger Stynylrez Primer

I've only used the UMP gray variant but I really like it! It sprays well and if you let it cure it nice to sand and polish

UMP recommends 20-30 psi and a 0.4mm needle, to low pressure it clogs and it won't level as well if you use a smaller needle.

The black appears to be a bit thinner than the gray  but both levels out beautifully!

Hope this helps

It sprays very nice and does not hide detail, but it will fill small sanding marks. However, it has to be shaken extremely well. A 0.4 mm nozzle is recommended, but I have been able to spray it with a 0.2mm nozzle.

And please do not try to thin the primer in the bottle. If you do this, it will first spray nice, but after a few months it will gum up. I've seen modelers going away from Stynylrez because of this. My 4 oz bottle is about 18 months old, and is stil good

Edited by Lancer512
  • 3 weeks later...

I have made a reversal on my decision. I will be using it on my aircraft too. I conducted a test spray of the black. I used my Iwata Revolution with .5 setup and it sprayed very well. I tested it straight out of the bottle and added a couple drops of MM Acrylic thinner. I ended up ordering the gray and the red-brown.  

1 hour ago, Winnie said:

Can you buy this at stores like Michaels? or is it solely mail order.

Cheers

H.

I have ordered it from Tower Hobbies. I was at Hobby Lobby today and the only thing new there is they are now carrying Autoborne Sealers and the New Candy 2.0.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2017 at 10:10 AM, Winnie said:

Just ordered some, we shall see how wonderful they are! Got the 3 pack. Surprised in the price difference though between Canadian and US Amazon sites...

Let me know what you think after getting a chance to use it!

OK, So I bought the 3  set of 2oz (60ml) primers, I have sprayed the white one straight out of the jar in the airbrush. I covered a whole Bell UH-1N in 48th scale, and i just had to occasionally clean the tip from a very small build up, about 1/10th of what happens with Vallejo when I use that through. It laid flat and was touch dry in minutes! It claims on the bottle that it is cover ready in 5 to 8 mins and I believe that. 

I tried cleaning the airbrush with Windex, and that did not work, however rubbing alcohol did the trick very well. I have some blemishes to fix and then I'll spray the spots again with primer, and then I will try to cover the bird in MM Acrylic as the plan is to build the Aircraft in my Sig picture...

9 hours ago, Winnie said:

OK, So I bought the 3  set of 2oz (60ml) primers, I have sprayed the white one straight out of the jar in the airbrush. I covered a whole Bell UH-1N in 48th scale, and i just had to occasionally clean the tip from a very small build up, about 1/10th of what happens with Vallejo when I use that through. It laid flat and was touch dry in minutes! It claims on the bottle that it is cover ready in 5 to 8 mins and I believe that. 

I tried cleaning the airbrush with Windex, and that did not work, however rubbing alcohol did the trick very well. I have some blemishes to fix and then I'll spray the spots again with primer, and then I will try to cover the bird in MM Acrylic as the plan is to build the Aircraft in my Sig picture...

Winnie

I use lacquer thinner to clean my AB out after using it. I also have tried Testor's Acrylic thinner to clean up the AB. It looks like you like it, glad we could help out!

• 5 months later...

This is my go-to primer. I use both the grey and regular black. I'm looking forward to giving the gloss black a shot soon. I too have found that the black is thinner than the grey. I've used everything from 91% iso alcohol, hardware store lacquer thinner, UMP airbrush cleaner and Windex to clean up these primers. Windex was by far the least effective on removing the primer, it did okay, just took more scrubbing to remove it all. For me, hardware store lacquer thinner to clean with right after spraying, scrubbing the bowl with an old brush and a couple backflushes on the airbrush seems to work great! I know that there are some who do not like to backflush their brushes, thats fine, just a step I do. After the initial rinse of lacquer thinner, I will shoot a bowl of 91% iso through it or a small amount of UMP cleaner (the blue stuff). I will occasionally also pull the needle and wipe it down if I'm not going to be spraying anything else for awhile. 

Edited by jelliott523
  • 1 month later...

The Stynylrez primer sounds interesting and worth a try. There is some solid praise for this primer in this thread and I don't see anyone mention a downside. My question is what kind of paints work well as the color coats over this primer? Or maybe another way to ask this is there any brand of paint (Vallejo, Model Master, Mr Color, Xtracolor, etc.) that is not compatible with Stynylrez as the primer coat? I now have quite a collect of different paint brands in my stash so I would like an all purpose primer if possible.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:

On 2017-11-04 at 7:58 AM, Mike J. Idacavage said:

The Stynylrez primer sounds interesting and worth a try. There is some solid praise for this primer in this thread and I don't see anyone mention a downside. My question is what kind of paints work well as the color coats over this primer? Or maybe another way to ask this is there any brand of paint (Vallejo, Model Master, Mr Color, Xtracolor, etc.) that is not compatible with Stynylrez as the primer coat? I now have quite a collect of different paint brands in my stash so I would like an all purpose primer if possible.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

I just used some Mission Models Paint over black  Stynylrez on a DML Panzer IVH. No issues. I let the Stynylrez cure for several days which may be overkill.  MMP is great, no issues and easy cleanup.

Great, thanks for the excellent response on what paint is compatible with Stynylrez primer. :thumbsup:  It looks like any acrylic or acrylic like  paint works well over this primer. I have been using MR Surfacer as my go-to primer but Stynylrez looks to be a better option. You just cleared the last hurdle in my mind in trying this primer. 

ElectroSoldier, was the Xtracolour paint you used the enamel version or was it the Xtracrylix acrylic paint? If it was the Xtracolour enamel paint, then that opens up a wide possibility of other paints that can go over it.

Have fun modeling!

Mike